What's new

New Surface Pro (2017) Official Thread

Exhile

This is my setup. I use the SP for OneNote App pen notes, and also use the Windows 10 Email App there too, because I like to use it with touch. Everything else is on the big screen, which is an Asus 24" 4K. The nSP is tilted on the dock. Sometimes I flip it around and use it landscape mode too. The keyboard is a Logitech K810. The mouse is a cheap USB fob attached model, but I intend to get the new Arc mouse when its available to complete the package. Not sure why Microsoft doesn't also make a compact bluetooth keyboard.

On the right side of the desk I have another 4K display connected to a Mac Mini with keyboard and trackpad.

View attachment 8587
Not bad. You may want to add the Surface Dial as well to your setup.

robsk102

I'm using the i5/8/256 SP 2017 with the Cobalt Blue Type Cover which looks like the dark blue and dark teal Type Covers had a love child from the Gen4 devices :)

This one drives my 4K at 60Hz without issue and have had no issues.

I'm using the old pen as the new one was Out of Stack in out Business In Store Purchase. Inking is working well and smoothly.

Apps are running correctly, running Office 365 Pro Plus Insider Fast, Drawboard PDF mainly...

Here is my current setup docked at my desk:

View attachment 8581

Great Setup @jnjroach. What is holding your SP that is mounted on your desk?

OP
convergent

convergent

I think there is something wrong with Windows Hello on the nSP. I have retrained it about 5 times and it will work a few times right after... then never again, even in the same location and lighting. I never had this problem with the SP4. I've also seen this mentioned in some of the reviews. Hopefully a firmware update will take care of it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Great Setup @jnjroach. What is holding your SP that is mounted on your desk?
I have an old Tablet Arm - I paid $300 for it back in 2007 :) I just replaced it with one from Amazon that went for $150 but it isn't as versatile as my old one (i.e. it doesn't have the same level of articulation).

port513

I will soon receive my SP i7 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. This will be used as my primary device for work, meaning it will take notes and some development etc.
I also bought the new pen and a signature cover with finger print reader.

Hope it will arrive safe and that I don't have to return it as a DOA.

/Henke

Skickat från min E6553 via Tapatalk

bootster

I don't know if this is a sore spot or not but I was wondering if the units with the Bluetooth 4.0 were shipping in error? I have one that is clearly a Bluetooth ver. 4.0. I checked it in Device Manager, and it is clearly not ver. 4.1, as advertised. It says right on the box that it is 4.o when the advertisements and official MS advertisement and PDF clearly state Bluetooth 4.1. There are boxes that have both currently on the shelves. The units with 4.1 are the ones to get, not the 4.0. The Marvell chipset is a hardware issue, and not a software/firmware upgrade update.

This is a real headscratcher, as there should be no way that units should be shipping with Bluetooth 4.o, only as advertised, ver. 4.1.

Last edited:
^ The chip itself can do 4.2, but the drivers are still optimized at 4.0. We have to wait for a proper driver update to 4.1 or maybe it's forever 4.0 as the retail box states

OP
convergent

convergent

First off, I am baffled as to why this forum has been unable to setup a new 2017 Surface Pro forum in over a month. You are shooting yourself in the foot because all the relative traffic on this device is shifting to other forums. I like this place, but I'm coming here less and less because of this delay. I've administered forums and this is a simple thing... please.

I've had the new Surface Pro now for almost a month and really enjoying it.

My Windows Hello problem I reported just went away, so I'm guessing there must have been a fix in one of the firmware updates. Its been working about 95% of the time now.

Battery Life - I'm getting about 8-10 hours of usage on a charge doing my business work. That includes a lot of inking in tablet mode, and MS Office and Firefox use with keyboard.

Performance - Overall its been great... I do have something slow down in Firefox every once in a while, but not a big deal and maybe just a Firefox thing. I have noticed it appears to have a memory leak.

Display - Mine is gorgeous and I don't have any backlighting problems, but I have seen others reporting a problem there.

Pen and Inking - This has been one of the greatest pleasures. The experience has no visible lag and the feel is like writing with a fine gel pen. To me, its better that paper. There was also some question about the magnet for keeping it attached to the SP. It is very strong and I have traveled on planes and not had it fall off in my backpack, or while walking around out of case.

Keyboard - The typing experience has been good, as has the trackpad been. I have the new Surface Arc mouse, but have been on a trip all week and never felt a need to pull it out... just used the trackpad. Too early to tell about the fabric and keeping it clean, but it is gorgeous.

I have found that it stays very cool to touch when using. The only time I've noticed it getting a little warm is when its charging. It also works great with the dock and external monitor.

The only thing I don't like is that I wish there were an option for the i5 with 512GB SSD. I like the totally silent operation.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
First off, I am baffled as to why this forum has been unable to setup a new 2017 Surface Pro forum in over a month. You are shooting yourself in the foot because all the relative traffic on this device is shifting to other forums. I like this place, but I'm coming here less and less because of this delay. I've administered forums and this is a simple thing... please.

My Windows Hello problem I reported just went away, so I'm guessing there must have been a fix in one of the firmware updates. Its been working about 95% of the time now.

Battery Life - I'm getting about 8-10 hours of usage on a charge doing my business work. That includes a lot of inking in tablet mode, and MS Office and Firefox use with keyboard.

Performance - Overall its been great... I do have something slow down in Firefox every once in a while, but not a big deal and maybe just a Firefox thing. I have noticed it appears to have a memory leak.

Display - Mine is gorgeous and I don't have any backlighting problems, but I have seen others reporting a problem there.

Pen and Inking - This has been one of the greatest pleasures. The experience has no visible lag and the feel is like writing with a fine gel pen. To me, its better that paper. There was also some question about the magnet for keeping it attached to the SP. It is very strong and I have traveled on planes and not had it fall off in my backpack, or while walking around out of case.

Keyboard - The typing experience has been good, as has the trackpad been. I have the new Surface Arc mouse, but have been on a trip all week and never felt a need to pull it out... just used the trackpad. Too early to tell about the fabric and keeping it clean, but it is gorgeous.

I have found that it stays very cool to touch when using. The only time I've noticed it getting a little warm is when its charging. It also works great with the dock and external monitor.

The only thing I don't like is that I wish there were an option for the i5 with 512GB SSD. I like the totally silent operation.
Notice the forum this thread lives in :)

Cuchulainn

Good review. I didn’t have the issues you did with Windows Hello. Luckily it works for me most times except if the room is very dark or outside when it’s extremely bright. I am surprised that it even seems to work at an off-angle if I am not paying attention and seems OK whether or not I am wearing my glasses.

The only issue I am having at all with mine is with the touchpad. It seems crazy sensitive and I get a lot of false clicks when scrolling, etc. I have turned the sensitively down to low, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Maybe I am just too ham fisted or heavy handed or something.

I was worried that the I7 might be much louder, since it has the fan or that it would use a lot more battery, but I decided to upgrade my I5 to an I7 because I do some photo and video work with it. I am surprised that the fan is actually pretty darned quite and I mostly only notice it in a quite room. I am also surprised that it doesn’t seem to have a significant impact on battery life.

Had a little bit of a rough start with them, but got a good one and am loving it now :)

Edit: Oh yeah, on the forum thing. There finally is a proper forum for the Surface Pro 2017. NO idea why it took so long. I admin a forum and could create one in 5 minutes, but that is using V Bulletin and this forum uses XenForo? I don’t know anything about XenForo, but could it be that much more difficult than V Bulletin? Dunno... maybe it is :)

OP
convergent

convergent

Good review. I didn’t have the issues you did with Windows Hello. Luckily it works for me most times except if the room is very dark or outside when it’s extremely bright. I am surprised that it even seems to work at an off-angle if I am not paying attention and seems OK whether or not I am wearing my glasses.

The only issue I am having at all with mine is with the touchpad. It seems crazy sensitive and I get a lot of false clicks when scrolling, etc. I have turned the sensitively down to low, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Maybe I am just too ham fisted or heavy handed or something.

I was worried that the I7 might be much louder, since it has the fan or that it would use a lot more battery, but I decided to upgrade my I5 to an I7 because I do some photo and video work with it. I am surprised that the fan is actually pretty darned quite and I mostly only notice it in a quite room. I am also surprised that it doesn’t seem to have a significant impact on battery life.

Had a little bit of a rough start with them, but got a good one and am loving it now :)

Edit: Oh yeah, on the forum thing. There finally is a proper forum for the Surface Pro 2017. NO idea why it took so long. I admin a forum and could create one in 5 minutes, but that is using V Bulletin and this forum uses XenForo? I don’t know anything about XenForo, but could it be that much more difficult than V Bulletin? Dunno... maybe it is :)

I have been on the fence about the i7. I do photo work, but not video. I really like the idea of a fanless design, and also the cost of course; but I would like to have 512G SSD. I have only another day to return, so will likely keep the i5. Plus, the migration of a month's configuration would be quite a pain.

I felt a little of what you were saying about the touchpad for the first couple of days that I used it, and not sense. I chocked it up to training my muscle memory. Like I said, I've been on the road for a week and didn't even pull my Surface Arc (which is a great mouse by the way) out of the bag once. I do like a sensitive trackpad and it feels similar to my MacBook trackpads to me. Did you try turning off the touch to click feature to make you have to click for a click? Not sure if you'd like that better.

Thanks to the admin team for adding the forum!