What's new

Newcomer on the SP3

stijn2k6

Hey guys,

recently i bought a SP3 and im really happy with it! This is my saying hello to the surface community but also to instantly whip out a question wich is bugging me alot!

I got the sp3 with win 10 and off course including is the type cover and pen. So i started to trying to figure out onenote (app) since I am willing to use this machine as my school workmate. Heres my problem;
I made a notebook called; Stijn ( thats me, hi ). In this notebook I made different sections; Schoolyear 1,2,3,4 etc. But when I make a quicknote or a screenshot I am not able to drag my quicknote into the wanted section so i can keep my schoolwork neatly organized...

I was in College and our proffessor gave us a link with a load of text. I was like; Im a surface user , I will just screenshot it, pick the text I need and done! The thing is it is "saved"(?) as a quicknote and I can't just drag it to for example schoolyear 3. How does this work? I looked up numerous tutorials, but they all skip this simple yet annoying part. I must do something wrong

Thanks in advance

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first thing you need to do as a student is download onenote 2013 :) I had to use the MUI app for a while due to some issues with inking in windows 10 during the technical preview, and it is just terrible for organisation etc.

The desktop version of onenote actually contains features, and it is killer for organising things. I'm not sure how i'd have managed if I had tried to use just the MUI onenote last year. I'd probably have just given up on the device and gone back to pen and paper.

Onenote 2013 also has the feature of send to onenote. Instead of taking a screenshot etc and it being saved into a quick note, it's just a small app that allows you to take screenshots etc and specify then and there which notebook, section, or note you want to insert the screenshot/clipping :)

OP
S

stijn2k6

So whats the whole point of the app ? Since I have to purchase office 2013 and i'm a student so its kind of expensive for me. So what i'm reading is that I can't organise properly with the app alone, that needs some tweaking IMO. Anyone has some nice links for me to get a discount on the office products?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So whats the whole point of the app ? Since I have to purchase office 2013 and i'm a student so its kind of expensive for me. So what i'm reading is that I can't organise properly with the app alone, that needs some tweaking IMO. Anyone has some nice links for me to get a discount on the office products?

Onenote 2013 is a free download from Microsoft :)

https://www.onenote.com/Download

The point of the app I guess is just so that it's there :p the app can be used without a problem for quick notes etc, but for any kind of professional/serious usage scenario, use the desktop version as it has more features than I know what to do with and is brilliant for organising notes and notebooks etc.

MUI onenote is crap in 8.1, and even worse in windows 10. It certainly is strange that they seemingly go out of their way to remove all functionality from the software. I might understand it if it was to push you to purchase onenote 2013, but it's free..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Onenote 2013 is a free download from Microsoft :)

https://www.onenote.com/Download

The point of the app I guess is just so that it's there :p the app can be used without a problem for quick notes etc, but for any kind of professional/serious usage scenario, use the desktop version as it has more features than I know what to do with and is brilliant for organising notes and notebooks etc.

MUI onenote is crap in 8.1, and even worse in windows 10. It certainly is strange that they seemingly go out of their way to remove all functionality from the software. I might understand it if it was to push you to purchase onenote 2013, but it's free..
Sometimes I think they use a decision wheel... kinda like a wheel-of-fortune ... spin... sorry lose two features. Try again. Nope, more bad luck, lose 5 features. spin again. Sorry you lose your turn, no enhancements this release. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes I think they use a decision wheel... kinda like a wheel-of-fortune ... spin... sorry lose two features. Try again. Nope, more bad luck, lose 5 features. spin again. Sorry you lose your turn, no enhancements this release. :)

I was just utterly baffled by the removal of the floating pen dock. that thing should have been migrated across the whole of office etc. The new draw options are simply embarrassing.

OP
S

stijn2k6

Thanks for the help guys. So lets say I would download onenote 2013 for free and ( one eyed, parrot wearing with a wooden leg ) download ARRRRRR office 2013 would that be an option or would it interfere with the options of the sp3?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
We do not condone scurvy around these parts :p but should you contract it, well, you'll be just fine ;)

OP
S

stijn2k6

Thats why i went with my pirate immitation hehe. Anyhow, I downloaded onenote2013 and indeed it works way smoother. Next problem; I installed 2013 as my standard onenote but when I click my pen or screenshot with the pen it won't open 2013 but metro...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats why i went with my pirate immitation hehe. Anyhow, I downloaded onenote2013 and indeed it works way smoother. Next problem; I installed 2013 as my standard onenote but when I click my pen or screenshot with the pen it won't open 2013 but metro...

This is a known problem unfortunately with no current fix.