Okay seriously... what is up with the battery meter in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by macmee, Jan 27, 2014.

1. macmee

macmee Active Member

I think one thing Microsoft is bad at, is perfecting all the little things in Windows 8. But the big concern I have is the battery meter:

[​IMG]

So if you ignore that overly blurry window in the background (wifi driver is also not updating...) you will notice that the battery meter says I have 23 hours left.

This is seriously witchcraft. I know that it's doing it's best to calculate how long is left based on what I'm currently doing on my Surface but come on. 23 hours? On other Windows machines in the past, and certainly on MacBooks, their battery meters have always been more accurate.

I don't expect perfect accuracy (because that's impossible), but I expect practical accuracy. This is sheer nonsense.

Also, Microsoft should fix how half the desktop UI doesn't support high DPI displays. Blurry windows everywhere.

2. EMINENT

EMINENT Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    No problems here.

Maybe you should have bought an ipad. Less usability, less problems.

Looks like they had some sad days in the past too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Wow, never had that problem. If anything, mine tends to go the other way... at least your Surface is being optimistic huh!? Look on the bright side dude :)

4. dl1234

dl1234 New Member

Mine does exactly the same. It varies enormously, sometimes showing 1h 50m and then the next minute 11h. It's also jumped up to 21h like yours. It seems based on a very short sampling interval and brain dead extrapolation.

5. macmee

macmee Active Member

Yeah, dare to dream :D

I also own an iPad and I've virtually had no issues with it. iPads do the least but work the best, Windows tablets do the most and work the worst, and Android is somewhere inbetween.

6. CreativeLemming

CreativeLemming Active Member

7. macmee

macmee Active Member

First: Microsoft has over a decade of OS development experience, and from this experience as well as being aware of principles such as the law of conservation of complexity, Microsoft should have appropriate planned ahead, and organized development on this product in a manner which is proportionate to its complexity. Knowing how to allocate the right amount of resources for a task in any sort of business is important, and the fact that Microsoft with all their experience and money failed to accommodate accordingly for this product speaks volumes for both Microsoft's ability to deliver reliable products, as well as for their blatant indifference towards customer satisfaction.

Two examples: the firmware disaster of December. I can forgive Microsoft for inadequately testing the firmware. I cannot forgive Microsoft for delaying a resolution to the problem for over a month. If they could not release a patch, or a rollback, then at the very least they could have offered consumers compensation or even a free exchange on their device. Microsoft did none of these things. Second, there are major bugs that immense amounts of users experience such as the sleep crash bug which even existed on the Surface Pro 1 and now on the 2, and even though this major bug which effects many users has existed since the creation of the original Surface, it has yet to be addressed and fixed. Completely outrageous.

Second: When using Windows I expect to completely reinstall the operating system several times a year. I consistently encounter problems using Windows. It is extremely rare that I have experienced a problem using OS X, and I have never once had to reinstall OS X on a machine due to malfunction. You can defend Microsoft until you're blue in the face but you'll never change the fact that I have had countless problems with Microsoft's products over the years, whereas I have had very few problems with Apple's. I may have purchased and continue to enjoy my Surface Pro 2, but you would never catch me running Windows as my primary OS these days. Too much headache.

8. CreativeLemming

CreativeLemming Active Member

I'm sure they do, just thought this would be an interesting article for people to read when somebody posts an iPad vd Android vs Windows statement. Microsoft as we all know have a long legacy of desktop and enterprise behind them and are trying hard to close the gap between themselves and their rivals. Wasn't trying to making any point or argument by posting, other than to provide some interesting information that I thought people might find a good read.

Btw, I have twice had to return my Mac (pro and air) to the apple store for drive replacement after (a) an unrecoverable boot error and (b) random shutdowns and lock ups. Nomidea if a firmware update caused this, probably just bad luck but Ive had bad experience with both.

9. macmee

macmee Active Member

I own the Surface Pro 2, iPad, Nexus 7 and HP Touchpad. I do enjoy different things about each tablet but at the end of the day I would choose my Surface over my other tablets. However, the Surface has the most bugs out of all these other tablets combined.

Bad experiences exist with Apple but in all my long experiences using products from both companies Microsoft has had many more issues.

10. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Let's be honest, everything is crap :) sometimes. Between my girlfriend and I we have experienced...

Dell PC - USB slots stopped working

Dell laptop - HDD died

iMac (old) - Ended up unable to boot

iMac (new) - Stutters through any video playback and throws up multiple errors upon booting

Surface Pro - Bluetooth/Wi-Fi conflict (doesn't happen on any other PC set up)

iPhone 4S - Audio wouldn't record in videos and loudspeaker died

iPhone 5S - Battery died

Nokia 920 - Constant connection problems

Just be happy with what you've got I say! Or as a colleague of mine likes to put it, "Technology... use it, but don't rely on it".

11. macmee

macmee Active Member

You have bad luck, again I like my Surface but it's definitely the most buggy machine I've owned. I BSOD'd today (irq_not_equal) when I was just using oneNote.

12. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Still 50/50 here lol... this week I've had my Surface randomly reboot as soon as I attached the Type Cover [​IMG] and I had my iPhone turn off saying dead battery, plugged it into charger and it instantly booted up and said I do have battery, wtf.