What's new

On screen keyboard in desktop mode

mrschwarz

I tried searching, but gave up. When I type 'on screen keyboard', I get every post than contains a word with 'on' in it.

Anyway, here's my question. I like the metro interface. Using IE11 would be great except that there are many pages that don't work with touch. In addition, Microsoft's decision to not allow plug-ins essentially removes it from contention as a usable browser for me. Since no one else has a browser that works in metro, I'm stuck in the desktop.

I would like to use my Surface without the keyboard cover, but the stock implementation doesn't work for me. I want the keyboard to open whenever I put the cursor into a text box. When I exit the text box, I want the keyboard to close (just like in metro). I would like automatic spell correct (just like metro).

Is there an app I can install that will do this? Are there settings that I can change to make this the default behavior?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried searching, but gave up. When I type 'on screen keyboard', I get every post than contains a word with 'on' in it.

Anyway, here's my question. I like the metro interface. Using IE11 would be great except that there are many pages that don't work with touch. In addition, Microsoft's decision to not allow plug-ins essentially removes it from contention as a usable browser for me. Since no one else has a browser that works in metro, I'm stuck in the desktop.

I would like to use my Surface without the keyboard cover, but the stock implementation doesn't work for me. I want the keyboard to open whenever I put the cursor into a text box. When I exit the text box, I want the keyboard to close (just like in metro). I would like automatic spell correct (just like metro).

Is there an app I can install that will do this? Are there settings that I can change to make this the default behavior?
Doesn't work in Windows 8.x but will in Windows 10....