What's new

Overheating Kills Internet

staftrax

On 3 occasions recently I've lost my internet connection, the first indication of an overheating problem. When I try to restart my sp nothing happen until the sp cools down. Usually about 10 minutes before it returns to normal. This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks.
Is my sp on its last legs?

Geneo

Welcome to the forum.

I never had a SP, but does it get hot to the touch? Is there a fan? Is it running full speed, much less running at all? Is there hot air coming out the vents? Are the vents blocked? I'm asking cause it might be something as simple as the fan quit working.
Surfing the internet shouldn't make it overheat- were you playing an internet game or MMO, watching videos, or something like that? We need more info.

Or it could be just time to get a new computer. Nothing lasts forever.

OP
S

staftrax

It does get hot at times and the fan kicks in when required. No blockages. I don't think it is necessary browsing that's causing the problem but the WiFi closing down seems to be a symptom and an early warning that the machine is about to hibernate for 10 minutes or so.

Geneo

Hummm.
How old is it? If it's 4+ it could be time for a new one. (4+ is 'old', 'outdated', and 'used up' in today's world).

cali

Welcome to the site.

I had similar behavior from a different brand of laptop. I turned the laptop off for several hours and it started up again. Eventually, alerts started to appear frequently that indicated the primary battery was shot, I could no longer use the device without it being plugged in to an electrical source. I just figured that I would get as much use as possible before getting a new device.

OP
S

staftrax

I have a suspicion that it seems to coincide with updates! I'll continue to monitor and let you know the outcome. Thanks to all for you contributions.