What's new

Power cable fraying

olimjj

Perhaps it's only been since lately that this issue has really taken off, that MS decided they would like to see the adapters in question.

You know, at first it was only a few, but then it became a lot more and was suddenly on Microsoft's radar. Then just the last day or two decided to try to recall the defective adapters.

Maybe when it was indicated by those reporting the issue to Microsoft, and them getting a replacement without having to send it back or provide a picture proof, we might have gotten a rash of opportunists trying to cash on the liberal policy. Just a thought.

malberttoo

Maybe when it was indicated by those reporting the issue to Microsoft, and them getting a replacement without having to send it back or provide a picture proof, we might have gotten a rash of opportunists trying to cash on the liberal policy. Just a thought.

Good point.

In my case, when I called last week, the rep did ask me if I could provide a picture to him of the faulty adapter.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Maybe they are catching on to the possible abuse.

Could be. Note that I called last week and wasn't asked to send a picture. So, could just be variation among reps.

I'm leaning toward them wanting to evaluate defective units to see what's up. I haven't seen the issue publicized anywhere other than this forum, and I doubt there are so many folks calling in to make them suspicious. It's possible, I suppose, just doesn't seem likely (yet).

olimjj

Could be. Note that I called last week and wasn't asked to send a picture. So, could just be variation among reps.

I'm leaning toward them wanting to evaluate defective units to see what's up. I haven't seen the issue publicized anywhere other than this forum, and I doubt there are so many folks calling in to make them suspicious. It's possible, I suppose, just doesn't seem likely (yet).

You are most likely correct. But the "grapevine" has been likened to a chain reaction:D

ipaq_101

I was asked to email pictures and I did. They even forgot to send me the email for the proof. I had to contact them to send me the email to reply back to them with the pictures.

kundas1

wow I just wanted to give an update about my power adapter and I have to give MS big props for shipping me my adapter in 2 days!!! I packed up my old adapter in the box incase they ask me to send mine back, but if they don't then I will fix up the broken one and keep that one as a back up spare...

now if they're that fast if/when my SP3 breaks then I will be very very impressed! knock on wood that never happens! but it's good to know that MS is fast and reliable! again kudos to MS for their fast and prompt service!

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Yep, kudos to Microsoft for being very free in replacing the adapters. Even bigger kudos to them when they issue a fix. I'm on my third adapter after my first two fell apart after very gentle treatment, and I'm pretty sure that this one will eventually fail.

Of course, Microsoft is clearly aware of the issue now and I'm sure they're feverishly working to resolve it. They can't like shipping out new adapters at this rate, along with the potential for damaging machines and, worse, fires and shocks and such that are inherent in such defects.

kundas1

@wynand32 then I suggest you preemptively put a heat shrink shield to help minimize or even stop it from fraying... that's what I will be doing today... don't feel like going through the hassles again of contacting MS for another replacement lol

OP
wynand32

wynand32

@wynand32 then I suggest you preemptively put a heat shrink shield to help minimize or even stop it from fraying... that's what I will be doing today... don't feel like going through the hassles again of contacting MS for another replacement lol

Yep, I'll be doing something. I'm not an engineer, though, so I'll be guessing as to the best way to offset the stressors that are causing the issue.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

you don't have to be an engineer to put a little heat shrink or electrical tape! lol

I have electrical tape on mine now. However, as I monitor it, I can see the cable pulling away from the connector at an angle--obviously the point of stress that's causing the separation. In order to mitigate the issue, the cable needs to be secured up against the connector so that the force of being pulled at an angle away from it is reduced. Heat shrink would work better if it holds the cable firmly against the connector; but it'll have to be applied effectively.

Really, it's an unfortunate design flaw. No matter how you place the SP3, the cable is pulled at an angle away from the connector. Instead, the cable needs to be connected perpendicular to the connector (or the internal connection with the current design needs to be seriously strengthened somehow).