What's new

Power cable fraying

riggi

Just wondering whether those with the frayed connectors are all plugging in the same way or not.
Are you having the cord come out from the connector pointing up or down?
It shouldn't matter, but if all of you have been in the habit of connecting the same way, it might be something for everyone to try and avoid.

It may be that if pointing up, the weight of gravity is dragging it out of the connector. If pointing down, it may be because the cable bends when it touches the desk that is stressing the cable/connector joint.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

It may be that if pointing up, the weight of gravity is dragging it out of the connector. If pointing down, it may be because the cable bends when it touches the desk that is stressing the cable/connector joint.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter whether plugging in at the bottom or the top--the angle is the issue, and as you say it's there in either case. I use mine with the cable coming out of the bottom, because that does seem to exert less force than the reverse.

bluegrass

Mine was not close to being frayed yet but as a preventative measure I just applied sum Sugra I ordered from Amazon. I'll see how it looks tomorrow after it dries into rubber.

yonghong

I think MS sent me new one already, ups call me Friday, I was not at home,will pick it up tomorrow, will see MS let me keep the old one or not, really don't want to give the old one back to them, it's working fine, just frayed.

r0b123

I'm curious if this is caused when the power cable is on the Surface being tugged, or when people wrap up their cable around the charger and transporting it in their bag.

So how are people wrapping the charger? I sort of was hoping Microsoft would have those wings that come out on the adapter (as seen on MacBook chargers) to make it easier to wrap in addition to adding the movable wire clip.