What's new

Preparing for Windows 10 Release

alissaknight

All,

I have been running on Windows 10 TP as many of you have and just have one question. Do I need to do anything on SP3 to prepare it for the public release? I trust it will be made available through Windows Store, will it still install even if it detects I am using the TP of Windows 10 or do I need to do a reset of my SP3 back to Windows 8?

Russ

Do I need to do anything on SP3 to prepare it for the public release?

Alissa -

The announced plan is to do an "in place" upgrade from TP to RTM. You will not have to revert to Win8. The final upgrade should be downloaded to your SP3 when it's available. Win7 & 8 users will get a notice that it is available to install. Not clear if TP users will get a similar notice or if it will be installed automatically,

Take care,
Russ

I believe the Microsoft Store will not be involved. People who are on the TP or Windows 7/8.1 users who have reserved Windows 10 ahead of time will be offered the upgrade through Windows Update.

ScottyS

Yes, Windows Insiders will get Win10 RTM installed as an update, and will continue to get updates installed ahead of regular users to test and provide feedback, as explained by Gabe Aul at http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/ (thanks @wynand32 for the post).

My problem is I have Win10 dual booting on a separate partition. I want my Win8.1 OS on the large partition to be upgraded to Win10 (as it will as a regular user) so I can wipe Win10TP from the smaller partition and use that for document storage. I don't know how to stay an "Insider" with the regular Win8-to-10 upgrade if I wipe my Win10TP OS. Don't know if just being signed on with my MS account will do that.

Russ

Yes, Windows Insiders will get Win10 RTM installed as an update, and will continue to get updates installed ahead of regular users to test and provide feedback, as explained by Gabe Aul at http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/ (thanks @wynand32 for the post).Don't know if just being signed on with my MS account will do that.

Scotty --
I think the Insider status is identified with your MS account. I just upgraded another machine from 8.1 to Win10, and it immediately recognized my Insider status on the new machine, including details of activity, quests, etc., from the other machine.

Regards,
Russ

ScottyS

Scotty --
I think the Insider status is identified with your MS account. I just upgraded another machine from 8.1 to Win10, and it immediately recognized my Insider status on the new machine, including details of activity, quests, etc., from the other machine.

Regards,
Russ
That's great, thanks.