What's new

Sad Reality of Apple's Users

daniielrp

About your picture, if you could use that there then you can use the SP 3.

Oh that's not mine (I personally have no love for MacBooks), it was just to illustrate the ludicrousness of trying to using any laptop on some train tables.

The purpose is simple to show how ridiculous they look carrying that many devices when they could be carrying only one. In another hand, I wonder if you have not heard lately about freedom of expression?

And yet, I guarantee if you give an iPad and a Surface Pro to a computer illiterate grand parent or the vast majority of mainstream non-technical users, I know which one they will find easier to use.

The point being is from a usability perspective the Surface Pro 3 isn't there. I like mine, but I know how to use it. But I would give one to my mum? Never. My mum had a PC and I remember how often I had questions from her on how to do things. Since she got her iPad, I never get calls.

Even with my Surface Pro 3, trying to get it to work with Virgin's inflight movie system was a more work than it should have been. It wouldn't work with the tablet internet explorer so I had to use the desktop version, but nothing told you that. It just said you don't have the required software installed (despite the fact that I did). With the iPad, it was as simple as an app and off you go, and the reality is that is what users are looking for.

It's not to say the Surface Pro 3 is bad. I love mine, but I think Windows 8.1 is not ready for the Surface Pro 3 and I'm hoping Windows 10 changes that because it's a really nice device. From a hardware perspective, it bloody awesome. From a user experience perspective, it's terrible, with the exception of OneNote which is great. Put simply, if Apple released this kind of device, I would probably switch because they would have made it work instead of giving users a half baked OS experience.

So before you go off proudly proclaiming Apple users as idiots, I think you should think again, because I don't consider them idiots, I just think they have higher standards with their user experience and unfortunately for Microsoft, that is what Apple is good at. The reason the iPhone took the market by storm was because while Nokia, Blackberry and all these other vendors were focussed on cramming as much functionality in as possible, Apple went back to basics and produced a device that even an idiot could use and that users wanted to work with. That is where Microsoft can learn from Apple.

This is not an anti-Microsoft rant, this is simply making a point about those who seek to make disparaging remarks about users because their logic defines "Hey, I know how to use my SP3, therefore everyone will" which is crap. Simply by being on a forum, your knowledge levels are 100x further than the average consumer out there. They are not sheep, they simply don't want to know what they don't need to know to make a device work, and that is what Apple gives them.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
all I know is that my parent are as computer illiterate as they come, but neither have the first issue using windows, the ipad air 2, and the iPhone 6 they got though, question after question after question after question. If you ask me the whole "apple is easy to use" is a load of subjective tosh. give me any apple product and I will not have a clue how to use it. I used my ipad air 2 for a week and nothing about the UI seemed logical or straight forward to me.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

And yet, I guarantee if you give an iPad and a Surface Pro to a computer illiterate grand parent or the vast majority of mainstream non-technical users, I know which one they will find easier to use.

The point being is from a usability perspective the Surface Pro 3 isn't there. I like mine, but I know how to use it. But I would give one to my mum? Never. My mum had a PC and I remember how often I had questions from her on how to do things. Since she got her iPad, I never get calls.

Even with my Surface Pro 3, trying to get it to work with Virgin's inflight movie system was a more work than it should have been. It wouldn't work with the tablet internet explorer so I had to use the desktop version, but nothing told you that. It just said you don't have the required software installed (despite the fact that I did). With the iPad, it was as simple as an app and off you go, and the reality is that is what users are looking for.

It's not to say the Surface Pro 3 is bad. I love mine, but I think Windows 8.1 is not ready for the Surface Pro 3 and I'm hoping Windows 10 changes that because it's a really nice device. From a hardware perspective, it bloody awesome. From a user experience perspective, it's terrible, with the exception of OneNote which is great. Put simply, if Apple released this kind of device, I would probably switch because they would have made it work instead of giving users a half baked OS experience.

So before you go off proudly proclaiming Apple users as idiots, I think you should think again, because I don't consider them idiots, I just think they have higher standards with their user experience and unfortunately for Microsoft, that is what Apple is good at. The reason the iPhone took the market by storm was because while Nokia, Blackberry and all these other vendors were focussed on cramming as much functionality in as possible, Apple went back to basics and produced a device that even an idiot could use and that users wanted to work with. That is where Microsoft can learn from Apple.

This is not an anti-Microsoft rant, this is simply making a point about those who seek to make disparaging remarks about users because their logic defines "Hey, I know how to use my SP3, therefore everyone will" which is crap. Simply by being on a forum, your knowledge levels are 100x further than the average consumer out there. They are not sheep, they simply don't want to know what they don't need to know to make a device work, and that is what Apple gives them.
I doubt that she is an average user. So your point is correct but not in this case.

TPadden

........ give me any apple product and I will not have a clue how to use it. I used my ipad air 2 for a week and nothing about the UI seemed logical or straight forward to me.
I don't understand your difficulty in picking up an iPad and just using it. :rolleyes: I have 7 young grandkids, the oldest is 8 years old, everyone of them figured it out in minutes. :D

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand your difficulty in picking up an iPad and just using it. :rolleyes: I have 7 young grandkids, the oldest is 8 years old, everyone of them figured it out in minutes. :D

And? I don't understand dhow people have trouble picking up a windows computer and just using it. Everyone in my family seems to be able to just jump on a windows computer and use it without an issue.

See my previous post. Ease of use is just a subjective argument if you ask me. I find ios to be utterly unintuitive and illogical. How does your children being able to use it invalidate my (and my parents) experience?