What's new

Spartan browser

ptrkhh

Microsoft mentioned that Spartan is not coming to Windows 7, which might mean it will come to W8

GoodBytes

From what I can see, Spartan is made as a Universal App. This is framework only on Windows 10 (phone with Windows 10, and XBox one)
Windows 8 and older doesn't support Universal App as of now.

You can however, upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10 when it will come out. Microsoft will do an offer where, if you have Windows 7 or 8.1, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The offer last 1 year from its official release. If you don't upgrade by then, then you'll need to go at the store and buy it, like everyone else.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft mentioned that Spartan is not coming to Windows 7, which might mean it will come to W8
I think they will use it as another carrot for upgrading to 10. I do not expect to see it on 8 or 8.1.
Wouldn't Spartan on 8.1 be Windows 9? :D

MickeyLittle

I'm still on 8.1 so I haven't even tried 10 but I thought I read that Spartan wouldn't even be ready when 10 was released later this year?
Are you guys using Spartan already as 10 Beta testers?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still on 8.1 so I haven't even tried 10 but I thought I read that Spartan wouldn't even be ready when 10 was released later this year?
Are you guys using Spartan already as 10 Beta testers?
We have part of the Spartan Engine in 9926, the next build is rumored to have the first beta. Spartan will be the default browser and IE 11 an optional component mainly for Enterprise Customers.