What's new

Surface 2 - Poor battery life

kristalsoldier

Something isn't right, are you using Adaptive Brightness or have you turned it off and set your brightness at 30%? I've used the Surface 2 since October and I get 8-14 hours of battery, if I'm using Miracast and streaming video I might only get 7 hours. I would do a full reset...

Are you recommending turning off Adaptive Brightness?

OP
T

Tewy

Thanks for the replies - I didn't know what adaptive brightness was until I just researched it.
I went in to control panel and indeed it was turned off for both battery and plugged in - I have now turned this on for both based on above comments, was this the correct thing to do?

I also have the 'adjust brightness automatically' turned off in PC Devices with screen brightness set around 30%, I would assume this is not an issue?

Thanks again for the interest.

OP
T

Tewy

It seems that after a restart and having turned on adaptive brightness the adjust brightness automatically turns on.
I guess as you would imagine these are linked or effectively the same think from different locations.
Either way I will see if this makes any difference to my battery life, I have left Bluetooth on also.
If this doesn't yield any improvements I will try a full reset but I have to say I am not hopeful either way, it still seems to be draining at 20% per hour.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ran from an elevated CMD Prompt a "Sleep Study"? C:>powercfg /sleepstudy and C:>powercfg /energy

Both commands will creates a HTML Reports that lists what is impacting your battery and/or preventing Connected Standby

fieldbaker

Please do powercfg /energy and show here. Myself is having problem with Nvidia Tegra Audio running in the background and causing battery drain. Microsoft is gonna exchange it

OP
T

Tewy

I tried to do power /cfg in admin command prompt - don't know if I did it correctly.
It ran some kind of tracing for 60 seconds and then stated there was some kind of power efficiency problem.
Not sure how to produce a report, can somebody give me some guidance on this - thanks.

OP
T

Tewy

Sounding dumb I know but where do I find the produced report - I assume it may be within one of the windows system files?

OP
T

Tewy

Think I have managed to produce the report, hopefully it shows.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• energy-report.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 519