What's new

Surface Pro 2 1.9 CPU Lot Numbers

scfoster

Just unboxed my replacement Surface 256GB ("old" one was a 128GB unit). It's Lot 1352 with the 4300U 1.90GHz 2.5GHz processor.

Pentad

I wanted to share my SP2 story. I ordered a SP2 512GB model right before Christmas. It came with the old processor. I saw that the SP2 got a CPU bump so I called and talked with returns (they were in India). They told me to send the 'old' one back and reorder a SP2 which should come with the newer CPU. I ordered a new SP2 w/512GB + Overnight shipping. It arrived yesterday and came withe the old CPU. I called back and was transferred to support (in USA I think). I told the girl I spoke with my story. She said she was not aware of the CPU spec bump but would try to find some info on it for me. She returned saying that the power that be were unhappy that the other group told me to send the old one back and reorder for the newer model.

She also said that the CPU bump was just MS's way of keeping the current technology in the SP2 blah, blah, blah. I said that was fine and I would just return it. I was quote pleasant and am not upset or anything. I figure I can reorder again when they are more common.

Does anybody carry the 1351 lots with 512GB?

Thanks!
-P

wmqiadm

The camera also looks snappier on the newer CPU based sp2, can some one verify if the camera is also changed?
Or how to I check if the camera is recording 720 or 1080p videos now?

By the way the complete new CPU sp2 feels super fast and very responsive:) its growing on me every day I use it.

Philtastic

The camera also looks snappier on the newer CPU based sp2, can some one verify if the camera is also changed?
Or how to I check if the camera is recording 720 or 1080p videos now?

By the way the complete new CPU sp2 feels super fast and very responsive:) its growing on me every day I use it.

New SP2 still records in 720p. I verified this by taking a video and looking at the recorded file's details.

MS Surface Pro 2 outside of US

Hi there

Its really interesting to know that there is HW bump in the Surface pro 2 and would love to have the 4300 version, m not in the US thus cant buy from there , i am ordering from Singapore and they dont have the new lots :disappointed: , how long would i have to wait untill these new lots travel outside of US :cry: , any idea what will be the lots of 2014 ? will it be 1401 ?? i want to order the 128GB version. :smile:

CrippsCorner

I wanted to share my SP2 story. I ordered a SP2 512GB model right before Christmas. It came with the old processor. I saw that the SP2 got a CPU bump so I called and talked with returns (they were in India). They told me to send the 'old' one back and reorder a SP2 which should come with the newer CPU. I ordered a new SP2 w/512GB + Overnight shipping. It arrived yesterday and came withe the old CPU. I called back and was transferred to support (in USA I think). I told the girl I spoke with my story. She said she was not aware of the CPU spec bump but would try to find some info on it for me. She returned saying that the power that be were unhappy that the other group told me to send the old one back and reorder for the newer model.

She also said that the CPU bump was just MS's way of keeping the current technology in the SP2 blah, blah, blah. I said that was fine and I would just return it. I was quote pleasant and am not upset or anything. I figure I can reorder again when they are more common.

Does anybody carry the 1351 lots with 512GB?

Thanks!
-P

You can see where they're coming from though, right? If I had the 'old' Surface Pro 2 it wouldn't bother me enough to exchange it personally.

Pentad

You can see where they're coming from though, right? If I had the 'old' Surface Pro 2 it wouldn't bother me enough to exchange it personally.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. I could not see where they are coming from. I know they ship out of Ohio (well the last two did) but that doesn't help me.

If I had the 'old' SP2 for over a month or so I would not have tried to update it. However, I spent nearly $2500 for the SP2, keyboard, case, etc...and my SP2 was only a day old (received) when I saw the CPU bump so I figured I might as well go for the newer CPU.

-P

tinycg

I just saw an interesting theory floated at the Microsoft answer boards, curious if this lines up. We're thinking that the lot number is actually embedded in the serial number. So for systems that dont have access to the lot number, but if they can see the serial number of the one they're shipping you we might be able to decode the manufacture date. I have a lot 1344 and the last 5 digits are 34453, which matches exactly to another lot 1344 person. If we can confirm this then we have another way we can figure out lot numbers.

EDIT: It appears to not check out, awesome coincidence that a couple of us would have numbers that match and that match our lot numbers...

Last edited: