What's new

Surface Pro x alternatives if no SP5

OP
convergent

convergent

Nice review from Lisa. One thing I disagree with is that she dogs Microsoft by stating that Samsung included the keyboard but she doesn't clean that up by stating that Samsung is charging $130 more than what the Surface Pro 4 cost back at release date for the same i5 4gb 128 model. If I remember correctly.

She does good reviews. When I tried the SB out, I didn't realize you could do the other positions with the keyboard/display angling. I still think I like the kickstand better, which most of the other SP4 competitors use. She also didn't make a lot of comments about the keyboard... it felt a bit more flimsy to me. I'm still leaning towards giving the Acer a try, because its so much less expensive than the SP4 and seems to be pretty close on most fronts. But not sure if I'm going to get it done before my return period ends

kristalsoldier

I really wish MS would be a little more forthcoming about their product plans - like is there gonna be a SP5 or no - is there gonna be a S4 or no? This playing coy and perpetual hide and seek is getting a bit grating.

MickeyLittle

I really wish MS would be a little more forthcoming about their product plans - like is there gonna be a SP5 or no - is there gonna be a S4 or no? This playing coy and perpetual hide and seek is getting a bit grating.

No doubt but at the same time if there was it would definitely cripple SP4 sales. Case in point is the OP and his return period is going to end just days before the event on 5/23. Now if he knew that a supped up SP4 was coming out or a new SP5 then he and many others would probably return their SP4s.

kristalsoldier

No doubt but at the same time if there was it would definitely cripple SP4 sales. Case in point is the OP and his return period is going to end just days before the event on 5/23. Now if he knew that a supped up SP4 was coming out or a new SP5 then he and many others would probably return their SP4s.

Well, I understand and agree with what you are saying. But at least some indication of how they want to take this line (Surface) forward would be helpful. For example, while there are a few options in place of a SP5 (as some of the posts above show), there are none really for the S3. Now, what would help would be if MS came out and said - hey! the SP line will most likely evolve in this way and as for the S3 - either there is gonna be no follow up or this is what is expected. Time lines nearer the time.

At least this way, folks like us would know that yes there is something ahead.

MickeyLittle

Well, I understand and agree with what you are saying. But at least some indication of how they want to take this line (Surface) forward would be helpful. For example, while there are a few options in place of a SP5 (as some of the posts above show), there are none really for the S3. Now, what would help would be if MS came out and said - hey! the SP line will most likely evolve in this way and as for the S3 - either there is gonna be no follow up or this is what is expected. Time lines nearer the time.

At least this way, folks like us would know that yes there is something ahead.

Good idea and since the Surface Laptop is made for Windows S it just makes sense that a new Surface tablet would be in the making for the same.

OP
convergent

convergent

Companies don't seem to want to share future product plans. Apple is terrible with this too. The added complication with Microsoft is that they don't necessarily need to ever do follow on products if they believe the other makers have stepped up for a form factor. It's a shame because they make such great hardware that they could dominate if they didn't want to annoy all their partners.

OP
convergent

convergent

So looks like there may be a new Surface Pro coming soon - This is the new Microsoft Surface Pro

That will likely be more $$$ than what I paid for the SP4, but would guess the battery life would be improved. Otherwise doesn't look like much different.

I'm leaning towards returning the SP4 today or tomorrow, and picking up a factory refurb Acer Switch Alpha 12 which can be had for $594 w/keyboard and pen, i5, 8G, 256G; and then sit on that for the time being. That's less than half what I spent on the SP4 and seems to be pretty close based on comparison reviews. If it doesn't work out and I want to go back to an SP, then I should be able to eBay the SA12 for nearly what I paid for it.

MickeyLittle

So looks like there may be a new Surface Pro coming soon - This is the new Microsoft Surface Pro

That will likely be more $$$ than what I paid for the SP4, but would guess the battery life would be improved. Otherwise doesn't look like much different.

I'm leaning towards returning the SP4 today or tomorrow, and picking up a factory refurb Acer Switch Alpha 12 which can be had for $594 w/keyboard and pen, i5, 8G, 256G; and then sit on that for the time being. That's less than half what I spent on the SP4 and seems to be pretty close based on comparison reviews. If it doesn't work out and I want to go back to an SP, then I should be able to eBay the SA12 for nearly what I paid for it.

Now this is a great plan. Heck even if you lose $100 due to fees and shipping with eBay you'll probably be more than able to save that on an SP4 once this new Surface Pro hits the market. I kinda wish I wasn't so addicted to my Surface Book but I am :cool:

OP
convergent

convergent

Now this is a great plan. Heck even if you lose $100 due to fees and shipping with eBay you'll probably be more than able to save that on an SP4 once this new Surface Pro hits the market. I kinda wish I wasn't so addicted to my Surface Book but I am :cool:

Ok, so this was a great plan. I walk into the Microsoft store and the guy was happy to do my return. He said... "let me guess, waiting for the announcement next week.. I think you are making a wise choice."

Then the good part. I had gotten the bundle with the free dock, and the other bundle with keyboard, office, warranty, and case. The dock and the case were listed on the receipt as $0, so he said I could keep them. I couldn't return the office 365 for some reason even though it was unopened, but it was on the receipt discounted at $70. I subscribe already so no problem since it's a one year renewal. So for $70 I got office, a dock, and a $50 sleeve case!

MickeyLittle

Ok, so this was a great plan. I walk into the Microsoft store and the guy was happy to do my return. He said... "let me guess, waiting for the announcement next week.. I think you are making a wise choice."

Then the good part. I had gotten the bundle with the free dock, and the other bundle with keyboard, office, warranty, and case. The dock and the case were listed on the receipt as $0, so he said I could keep them. I couldn't return the office 365 for some reason even though it was unopened, but it was on the receipt discounted at $70. I subscribe already so no problem since it's a one year renewal. So for $70 I got office, a dock, and a $50 sleeve case!

Wow, what were they thinking? Even Best Buy is smart enough not to lose out like that! I mean if I buy a bundled did from them and then return the main piece it all goes back! Microsoft needs to tighten up on their bundling cause you got over $300 for $70 and you can eBay the unopened Office for $50 of that.

OP
convergent

convergent

Wow, they look like nice specs. These devices seem to have so many firmware problems when they first come out though. Will be watching this one!