What's new

Tile Rows on Surface RT

bosamar

I don't know if this topic has been brought up before... Why is the Surface RT limited to three rows of tiles (top to bottom in landscape)? Seems there is plenty of room for a 4th row. In addition maybe add three tile sizes like Win Phone 8. Your thoughts?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is based on resolution from what I can tell, on the devices I've used that have 1080p resolution I get 4 rows of tiles.

R0bR

This Technet article explains it all:

StartTiles

There are some registry hacks out to adjust the number of rows but if the screen doesn't support it the settings are ignored. Also, not sure if the hacks work on RT.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not on the Surface, on other Windows 8 machines that have 1920x1080 Resolution....

guitar1969

I don't know if this topic has been brought up before... Why is the Surface RT limited to three rows of tiles (top to bottom in landscape)? Seems there is plenty of room for a 4th row. In addition maybe add three tile sizes like Win Phone 8. Your thoughts?

Actually over at XDA they are playing with some hacks to get 4 rows - not sure of the progress.

Mr.Dan

Well yesterday my surface freaked out... Restarted itself... And now i got 4 rows, everything functional.. Is it normal?

Mr.Dan, mine did not "freak out" but I turned it on from completely powered off last night and there was a forth tile row. I had previously read this thread and thought maybe Microsoft had made it work or something and I just had to reboot the surface to make it happen. I was loving it! Later on I woke it from sleep and the 4rth row was gone. I was totally bummed as the forth row looked great and meant I had to scroll less. Has anyone else seen this on theirs or can provide a reason why it may have happened? Also, Mr Dan does yours still have 4 rows?

OP
bosamar

bosamar

With so much empty space on the top and bottom I don't see why MS can't add the option in future updates.

Br1an_g

I currently have 4 rows of tiles. Power up from cold. Looks much better...got a screen shot but can't seem to post them from my surface.

ArnoldC

Put it into Photobucket and copy the IMG code into the forum.

I'm interested to know if the tiles became smaller.