What's new

Tile Rows on Surface RT

dev_sec

I don't know if this topic has been brought up before... Why is the Surface RT limited to three rows of tiles (top to bottom in landscape)? Seems there is plenty of room for a 4th row. In addition maybe add three tile sizes like Win Phone 8. Your thoughts?

Permanent resolution:

.reg begin -->

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
"MonitorSize"="15.4"

<-- end

Reboot after adding the reg value.

One more thing - after doing this, flip to portrait mode, swipe Settings -> Tiles -> "Show more tiles" to enable a total of 9 rows in portrait.

Note that this only affects the modern ui; and, only scales to the minimum permittable font scaling for the actual resolution.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just did the Reg Hack and it does work, it makes the Modern UI fit more data in the App, no side scrolling in Mail, Zino Magazines are much more readable. But it does make the keyboard much smaller as well though.

ArnoldC

Did you apply the scaling as well?

update:

My setting is 14, and applied a scaling of 125%. That doesn't change the size of the on-screen keyboard though. This mod may be useful if you work with Touch or Type or BT keyboards, but makes the on-screen keyboard useless, unless you type with one finger.

Screenshot8.png

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Changing the DPI did little to change the size of the keyboard. I might test MonitorSize of 13.1

joga

Aw: Tile rows on Surface RT

Very cool, works perfectly.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

d31dk

Great  Thank you for this reg. This is great, makes "metro" much better on the surface!
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Last edited: