What's new

touch cover peeling at seam

Br1an_g

just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

my touch cover, in the middle at the join to the screen is peeling. like the top layer has come loose and is ruffling up. will try to get a pic but just worried its going to get worse as I use it more.

having trouble uploading a picture to the site, will do it later at home.

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

Mine still looks good. I would take it to a MS Store and ask to exchange it. I dont see why they wouldnt since it's only been a week.

OP
B

Br1an_g

yep, that's exactly it. saves me posting a pic.

im in the uk so needs to be sent back for a replacement. no local stores to go to :(

whyjoe

Exchanged my touch cover and Surface today at the MS store. Gotta say, it was super easy. Took two seconds. The reps said they hadn't seen any touch covers come back like that but they had seen one other unit with the logo coming off. Guess there must be some manufacturing variance. Fortunately getting a new Surface was no big deal at all since everything sync'd right back on, settings, passwords, and all.

Except I left my 64GB MicroSD card in the unit I exchanged. :-( #facePalm. Guess I will be calling them in the morning.

Edit: MS store peeps were really nice and shipped my SD card back to me so I didn't have to drive so far. It came in a huge, empty box, lol.

Last edited:
OP
B

Br1an_g

Phoned them today and they are sending out a replacement cover. Not sure what I have to do with the old one yet. He did say there would be instructions by email, let's see how.long it takes.

dlv

I'm kind of questioning the integrity of the touch cover in the area before the hard bar that links to the device. It kinda curves upwards and gets thinner but it always feels like it's going to rip right off considering the strength of the magnet...

OP
B

Br1an_g

had a few issues with them processing this swap so its been escalated.
also, there is an 83.33 reservation of funds in case you fail to return the faulty touch cover. you can avoid this by sending the faulty unit first.

surfacer

I had the same issue with the blue keyboard as well. I live close to a Microsoft store and they exchanged it for me. The Rep I dealt with said it was the 2nd keyboard that came back (to his knowledge). I believe the seam can loosen easily if it's bent back and you let the Surface rest on your lap (for example, when you're reclining and reading something) - it's best to disconnect the keyboard when the Surface is being used in this scenario.

OP
B

Br1an_g

I had the same issue with the blue keyboard as well. I live close to a Microsoft store and they exchanged it for me. The Rep I dealt with said it was the 2nd keyboard that came back (to his knowledge). I believe the seam can loosen easily if it's bent back and you let the Surface rest on your lap (for example, when you're reclining and reading something) - it's best to disconnect the keyboard when the Surface is being used in this scenario.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being a cover? If I can't fold it back for fear of it peeling then it's not doing the job it was designed for IMO.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being a cover? If I can't fold it back for fear of it peeling then it's not doing the job it was designed for IMO.

I think it is meant to say folding it over the back and placing weight on the seam where it is folded back along the edge. I don't think the cover was specifically designed to protect the back of the device if that is what you are implying. It is simply meant to fold back out of the way when not in use but holding the tablet not setting the tablet down on the spine with the cover folded back. The advice is that if you are going to prop it up on the bottom edge you may want to remove the cover to avoid the potential issue.

So standard use would be closed over the front, opened down as a keyboard on a flat surface, or folded around the back while being held or set flat on it's back but not propped up on the spine. If that is what you want to do and want to avoid a possible seam issue remove the cover first.