touch cover peeling at seam

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by Br1an_g, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Br1an_g

Br1an_g New Member

My Device:
    RT
    just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

my touch cover, in the middle at the join to the screen is peeling. like the top layer has come loose and is ruffling up. will try to get a pic but just worried its going to get worse as I use it more.

having trouble uploading a picture to the site, will do it later at home.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast Active Member

Mine still looks good. I would take it to a MS Store and ask to exchange it. I dont see why they wouldnt since it's only been a week.
  3. Br1an_g

Br1an_g New Member

My Device:
    RT
    yep, that's exactly it. saves me posting a pic.

im in the uk so needs to be sent back for a replacement. no local stores to go to :(
  4. whyjoe

whyjoe New Member

Curious to know how that goes... I would holler to see if they will cross ship.
  5. whyjoe

whyjoe New Member

Exchanged my touch cover and Surface today at the MS store. Gotta say, it was super easy. Took two seconds. The reps said they hadn't seen any touch covers come back like that but they had seen one other unit with the logo coming off. Guess there must be some manufacturing variance. Fortunately getting a new Surface was no big deal at all since everything sync'd right back on, settings, passwords, and all.

Except I left my 64GB MicroSD card in the unit I exchanged. :-( #facePalm. Guess I will be calling them in the morning.

Edit: MS store peeps were really nice and shipped my SD card back to me so I didn't have to drive so far. It came in a huge, empty box, lol.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. Br1an_g

Br1an_g New Member

My Device:
    RT
    Phoned them today and they are sending out a replacement cover. Not sure what I have to do with the old one yet. He did say there would be instructions by email, let's see how.long it takes.
  7. dlv

dlv New Member

I'm kind of questioning the integrity of the touch cover in the area before the hard bar that links to the device. It kinda curves upwards and gets thinner but it always feels like it's going to rip right off considering the strength of the magnet...
  8. Br1an_g

Br1an_g New Member

My Device:
    RT
    had a few issues with them processing this swap so its been escalated.
    also, there is an 83.33 reservation of funds in case you fail to return the faulty touch cover. you can avoid this by sending the faulty unit first.
  9. surfacer

surfacer New Member

I had the same issue with the blue keyboard as well. I live close to a Microsoft store and they exchanged it for me. The Rep I dealt with said it was the 2nd keyboard that came back (to his knowledge). I believe the seam can loosen easily if it's bent back and you let the Surface rest on your lap (for example, when you're reclining and reading something) - it's best to disconnect the keyboard when the Surface is being used in this scenario.
  10. Br1an_g

Br1an_g New Member

My Device:
    RT
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being a cover? If I can't fold it back for fear of it peeling then it's not doing the job it was designed for IMO.
  11. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    I think it is meant to say folding it over the back and placing weight on the seam where it is folded back along the edge. I don't think the cover was specifically designed to protect the back of the device if that is what you are implying. It is simply meant to fold back out of the way when not in use but holding the tablet not setting the tablet down on the spine with the cover folded back. The advice is that if you are going to prop it up on the bottom edge you may want to remove the cover to avoid the potential issue.

So standard use would be closed over the front, opened down as a keyboard on a flat surface, or folded around the back while being held or set flat on it's back but not propped up on the spine. If that is what you want to do and want to avoid a possible seam issue remove the cover first.
  12. Afy

Afy Member

Wow... this thread has made the News in more than one country.
    Its amazing how much people seem to hate MSFT, I just dont get it.
  13. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Wow that is crazy. Definitely bias in that article as the posts are taken out of context (this is a discussion not a list of complaints) to support a specific point of view. Somebody is disappointed with the performance of their Apple stock lately. Buy high sell low much :p

That's not to say there is no issue with the cover because to me it sounds like a faulty design of a thin seem on vinyl coming together at a stress point. This is not uncommon with vinyl seems of that nature. This should only be an issue in the color cover as I understand it since the black is all felt with no such seem.
  14. pbankey

pbankey New Member

Since CNET seems desperate to find things outside of Apple to report on, I wanted to clarify with anyone coming to this thread from the CNET article that this issue was announced by a whopping TWO people. Yes, two people experiencing a hardware issue with a Microsoft product is apparently news worthy.

I have never been happier with a tablet/computer purchase in my life. Thank you, CNET, for driving people to this community so they can see how happy Surface customers are.
  15. Mr.NK

Mr.NK Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    RT
    Welcome to journalism/media :D
    I wonder if there are similar issues with user of typecover.
    I own one myself and it doesn't have the sort of "wave" i was able produce on the touchcover, but you can feel the edge of the board through the fabric at the bottom - so maybe wearing off could be a longterm problem.