What's new

TouchMe Gesture Control Studio - Configure your own finger swipe gestures

beq

^ Hopefully it would still work for you... Though I agree the IAP is worth it :)

One minor thing though, the app started to throw up a prompt to submit your Windows Store rating, with no way to bypass it (I think this was after a couple of days in?). Even after force-closing the app, the dialog prompt would still be there the next time you open the app. I kinda feel that users should be allowed to submit (or not) on their own time, for a paid app... A suggestion is fine, if not mandatory...

ybahman

Thanks Yb. No one shares my account. I had 32 days last night when I loaded it and got home tonight from traveling. Was going to play with it/practice and noticed they were all lined out. Didn't try to see if they still worked, lol (blushing).

In bed on a Playbook and wiped out. Will try tomorrow but will purchase anyway. Great product and definitely worth it for the limited time I played around. I just have to train muscle memory. I use mostly desktop mode on my SP2 for work. This will motivate me to really embrace the touch experience vs mouse keyboard. I think you need to get this on MS mail stack vs app store for a bigger sale.

This should be native across their OS. Its that important especially given their recent announcements.

Hmmm that's incredibly strange. It could have something to do with the timezones, but a one hour difference shouldn't have caused that if you installed it hours before the timezone change. I'm trying to figure out what's going on here because I suspect you aren't the only one hitting this issue. So thanks for bringing it up!!

As for muscle memory, you're right, it does take a while. Especially since there's no standard to learn across devices, but once you figure it out, it's pretty nice IMO.

And about getting it in MS's mail stack... I couldn't agree with you more. I actually work at Microsoft on the Windows team. But, it's a HUGE team and I don't work on the user experience bit :).

ybahman

^ Hopefully it would still work for you... Though I agree the IAP is worth it :)

One minor thing though, the app started to throw up a prompt to submit your Windows Store rating, with no way to bypass it (I think this was after a couple of days in?). Even after force-closing the app, the dialog prompt would still be there the next time you open the app. I kinda feel that users should be allowed to submit (or not) on their own time, for a paid app... A suggestion is fine, if not mandatory...

Thanks beq. That shouldn't be happening. I throw up a pop up that asks the user to rate the app for my own personal telemetry so I can gauge user satisfaction. But it is not submitting to the Store. The only way to submit a review to the Microsoft Store is through the Store app. Once you submit an answer, it'll never show up again. Is that not the behavior you're seeing?
q

beq

Oh OK, sorry I guess I was mistaken. You're right, it did disappear after I submitted my rating (5 stars). IIRC clicking Submit then opened the Windows Store app rating page, which was why I assumed, sorry.

Dim-Ize

ybahman, I purchased so never found out if the issue was fixed with trial expiring after 20 hours. No biggie.

What may help new users though, is if your export of the Studio file included a drop down for a .txt or .doc formatted file so one could print it off and practice. I can always snap the Studio and another window to get the hang of it, but a full screen experience with a printed "cheat sheet" would help me train this and make it easier to internalize.

ybahman

[SUB][/SUB]
Oh OK, sorry I guess I was mistaken. You're right, it did disappear after I submitted my rating (5 stars). IIRC clicking Submit then opened the Windows Store app rating page, which was why I assumed, sorry.

:D No apologies necessary! And I really appreciate the 5 star review those help a lot! I considered adding a cancel button but since it really wouldn't have made much of a difference to the user anyway, I figured it'd just be more work for no reason. But after hearing your feedback, maybe it's a good idea after all.

ybahman

ybahman, I purchased so never found out if the issue was fixed with trial expiring after 20 hours. No biggie.

What may help new users though, is if your export of the Studio file included a drop down for a .txt or .doc formatted file so one could print it off and practice. I can always snap the Studio and another window to get the hang of it, but a full screen experience with a printed "cheat sheet" would help me train this and make it easier to internalize.

That's a good idea. You're actually the third person to suggest this! The .txt file would be soooooo easy to do so I can get that out in the next release no problem. The .doc on the other hand would be a challenge since their format is incredibly complex. I'm guessing it'd just be easier to provide option a straight up 'print gesture list' button and avoid the .doc all together. =]

If this is something you're interested in, can you please post a quick suggestion on TouchMe Feature Requests ? It really helps me get organized on what I should work on next.

Dim-Ize

Will add this to the request too:

When using two finger keyboard swipe up it helps if you start at the bottom of the bezel (black area) and swipe up. This prevents the screen from inadvertently moving up/down. :)

As an avid BlackBerry user (I know, I know...I'm the only one left in North America) I think you could really pull some nice enhancements here by emulating their approach. They use the bezel to initiate their gestures. Maybe this isn't active in the Surface screen perimeter. Not sure...

But, by swiping up from the border, you could create some unique gestures with one finger commands like drawing a "B" and have your device launch the Browser. Maybe, "X" for cut and "P" for paste. Or "T" while in the browser to go to the top of the page, etc.

Make sense?

If a user could create one finger commands with letters by initiating the gesture from the black bezel you could further open this up for some productive stuff..

ybahman

Will add this to the request too:

When using two finger keyboard swipe up it helps if you start at the bottom of the bezel (black area) and swipe up. This prevents the screen from inadvertently moving up/down. :)

As an avid BlackBerry user (I know, I know...I'm the only one left in North America) I think you could really pull some nice enhancements here by emulating their approach. They use the bezel to initiate their gestures. Maybe this isn't active in the Surface screen perimeter. Not sure...

But, by swiping up from the border, you could create some unique gestures with one finger commands like drawing a "B" and have your device launch the Browser. Maybe, "X" for cut and "P" for paste. Or "T" while in the browser to go to the top of the page, etc.

Make sense?

If a user could create one finger commands with letters by initiating the gesture from the black bezel you could further open this up for some productive stuff..

This is a cool idea. Actually, I REALLY like the feature of BB10, which allows you to both wake up AND unlock your screen with one action. It's pretty genius. I am looking at edge swipe gestures, but I have no logic in place to be able to detect things like letters. It seems like it might be cumbersome to make a gesture that long, but after trying it out a bit, it seems like it might be useful for things like launching specific apps. (That would have to be a feature I probably finished first =] ).

Only problem is I have no idea how I'd be able to detect those gestures... I've seen how some other mouse-gesture apps work, and I really don't like it. They're very prone to mis-recognition. But It's NBD on a mouse because the gesture takes very little effort to re-do. When you have to swipe your finger across the whole page a couple times tho, that's a lot more work (is my American showing?). Basically, what I'm getting at is that I'd want to be able to be able to detect the gestures with a super high level of accuracy but I don't know how to do that yet. But I'll think on it for a bit =]

Dim-Ize

This is a cool idea. Actually, I REALLY like the feature of BB10, which allows you to both wake up AND unlock your screen with one action. It's pretty genius. I am looking at edge swipe gestures, but I have no logic in place to be able to detect things like letters. It seems like it might be cumbersome to make a gesture that long, but after trying it out a bit, it seems like it might be useful for things like launching specific apps. (That would have to be a feature I probably finished first =] ).

Only problem is I have no idea how I'd be able to detect those gestures... I've seen how some other mouse-gesture apps work, and I really don't like it. They're very prone to mis-recognition. But It's NBD on a mouse because the gesture takes very little effort to re-do. When you have to swipe your finger across the whole page a couple times tho, that's a lot more work (is my American showing?). Basically, what I'm getting at is that I'd want to be able to be able to detect the gestures with a super high level of accuracy but I don't know how to do that yet. But I'll think on it for a bit =]

Here is a video of someone using bezel gestures within PlayBook's Origami Browser: LINK

These are single finger gestures initiated by starting in the bezel and then entering the touch screen are:
Shortcuts.jpg

I realize these are browser specific, but the idea for single finger gestures was my goal in communicating - by initiating from the bezel to begin TouchMe's discovery.

ybahman

Here is a video of someone using bezel gestures within PlayBook's Origami Browser: LINK

These are single finger gestures initiated by starting in the bezel and then entering the touch screen are:
View attachment 1713

I realize these are browser specific, but the idea for single finger gestures was my goal in communicating - by initiating from the bezel to begin TouchMe's discovery.

That makes sense. I'll keep noodling over how I might write that kind of gesture detection =]