What's new

Turn Screen Off Without Sleeping?

GoodBytes

Link works now, thak you so much :)

edit: Same system.dll error. Could it be a conflict between this and BatteryBar? [which I know I should uninstall, but was waiting to test drive yours before doing so]
It should not.
Do you get pass this screen?

pm_setup.png

GoodBytes

Ok so I have improved the error messages so that we can see where it fails.
It also writes a log file on the desktop, so that I can see where it fails for you.

Uninstall the version you have, and install this one:
http://www.helpweaver.com/powermonitorbeta/PowerMonitor_Setup_Beta_Take3.exe

I believe it has to do with the power profile that it tries to get but fails as it is a connected standby system. I modified the code to reflect that, hopefully it will work, as I can't test this, as I don't have a Pro 3.

GoodBytes

Great little utility. I use Volumouse for volume control. This has volume control built in also.Very nice. Thanks!
Thank you. I hope it will be even better once done, once I am able to get a confirmation it works on the Surface Pro 3, and finish polishing code, and fixing bugs.

A cool small feature, in addition, is that you can control, like a laptop, a desktop monitor brightness level (assuming it support DDC/CI protocol, which should be most decent monitors these days). Cool if you are in game or don't want to go through difficult to navigate (for most monitors) on screen menus to adjust it, or you have your Surface Pro with an external display, and you want to adjust the brightness of the external display. It also works with supported projectors too.

berardi1111

I disabled Connected Standby but my power options still only show option to turn off screen, but it actually sleeps the whole device. I am unable to see any option to allow / disallow sleeping. The Screen off = whole device sleeps :( Anyone get this working?

ipaq_101

So does the software above work to turn off the screen instead of stand-by? If it does, do we have to disable connected standby?

GoodBytes

So does the software above work to turn off the screen instead of stand-by? If it does, do we have to disable connected standby?
I don't know, I don't have a Surface Pro 3, or any connected standby mode. No one told me if that feature works on not explicitly.

The way I have implemented the turn off display, is that it does a call to the connected monitors of the system (this included embedded displays) to go in standby.

I have what it seams to be one last bug to fix, I have fix a huge amount, and did some improvements to the software since. Maybe this week-end if all goes well, I'll release it. But I didn't change the code for putting the display to sleep. So if it works, great. If not.. well sorry. I'll look into it, but if I can't find anything, then it could be the way Windows 8 works. Maybe in Windows 9 it will be different.
Currently, based on rumors and speculations, and from blog posts from Microsoft, it looks like the lack of success of Windows 8, is making Microsoft move all its resources to Windows 9. Meaning: No Windows 8.2, and no Windows 8.1 Update 2 (http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...s-for-windows-8-1-and-windows-server-2012-r2/)

GoodBytes

Am I missing something ... can't you use a blank screen saver?
Blank screen saver keeps the backlight of the panel on so that means that your battery life is still affected. No power save. Also, despite using an IPS panel, it is an entry and thin panel, which means it has some level of back light bleeding. And in addition, you have IPS panel glow effect, a downside of IPS panels, when you look at it at an angle on black.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blank screen saver keeps the backlight of the panel on so that means that your battery life is still affected. No power save. Also, despite using an IPS panel, it is an entry and thin panel, which means it has some level of back light bleeding. And in addition, you have IPS panel glow effect, a downside of IPS panels, when you look at it at an angle on black.
On mine the back light goes off completely a couple minutes after the blank screen saver comes on.