What's new

Turn Screen Off Without Sleeping?

GoodBytes

Yup. That is not the problem. What people want is to manually, on demand, to turn off the screen. Not wait for Windows to turn it off, nor hide the fact it won't turn off on demand by putting a black screen.

Currently, based on what is being said, when you use a software has the ability to turn off the screen on demand, it puts the system to sleep on Connected Standby devices.

Contact

GreyFox7, do you have connected standby on? I don't think you can set it to turn off your screen after awhile without going into a sleep state. Are these background applications metro apps?

malberttoo

I think some people have different Power Options settings available to them. I was talking to a guy in a different thread, and he only has "shut off display" and "adjust plan brightness", where I have an actual "sleep" setting...

Display2.PNG

http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...-off-after-certain-delay-but-not-sleep.10269/

When my SP3 is plugged in, it definitely stays on, and the screen shuts off.

GoodBytes

Ok, my software is complete.
I need to write up an official post, I haven't decided which forum, and where to posts it.

It is marked at Beta, but its been tested a lot. I just like to have at least my first version of my software marked as Beta, due to limited resources (ie: I only have my desktop and Surface Pro 2), so some bugs may occur. But, beside a few minor bugs here and there, the software should be solid.

Edit: removed direct download link.

Features:
  • Switches automatically between Windows Power Saver, and Balance power plans (customizable to the profiles you want), based on if you are plugged in or not.
  • Logs battery life and provides a graph tracking it.
  • Allows you to control the screen brightness internal and also external desktop displays. You can use keyboard shortcut to control all connected displays brightness level. Nice looking, Windows 8 style on screen brightness indicator will be display the brightness level. (For desktop monitors to work, the monitor needs to support DDC/CI protocol).
  • The software works on desktop computers. So, if you want to enjoy controlling your desktop monitor screen brightness like a laptop display, via a keyboard shortcut, you can. Yes, it supports multiple displays. As long as they support DDC/CI protocol everything will work.
  • Ability to Turn off display (no idea if it will work properly with Connected Standby devices)
  • Provides additional keyboard shortcut for (which I think all or some where missing on the Surface Pro, and many laptops): volume control, turn off display and previous/next track.
  • High-DPI aware. Nice looking on all DPI levels.
Known issues:
  • I have no idea if turning off the display will put the system to sleep, on Connected Standby devices. I don't have a Surface Pro 3, or any other devices to test this.
  • Intel igfxHK.exe (Intel hot key software), blocks some keyboard shortcuts in PowerMonitor from working. I suggest to disable it from starting up. It just provides keyboard shortcuts to rotate the screen. This is useless, as devices like the Surface Pro, have a sensor to rotate the screen automatically. If you see it on your task manager or startup, it is safe to remove. Once removed, restart the the system so that it is unloaded from Windows, and PowerMonitor can register the define keyboard shortcuts properly, so that they work.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

e61phlux

Anyone tried this?
Can't test myself, as my Surface Pro 3 won't be arriving before the 28th of august (EU release date)

landy

i just installed on sp3 but after install i get a error when I try to open the program.

Invalid or corrupted System.dll file. Reinstall the software to correct the problem.

Ok, my software is complete.
I need to write up an official post, I haven't decided which forum, and where to posts it.

It is marked at Beta, but its been tested a lot. I just like to have at least my first version of my software marked as Beta, due to limited resources (ie: I only have my desktop and Surface Pro 2), so some bugs may occur. But, beside a few minor bugs here and there, the software should be solid.

Features:
  • Switches automatically between Windows Power Saver, and Balance power plans (customizable to the profiles you want), based on if you are plugged in or not.
  • Logs battery life and provides a graph tracking it.
  • Allows you to control the screen brightness internal and also external desktop displays. You can use keyboard shortcut to control all connected displays brightness level. Nice looking, Windows 8 style on screen brightness indicator will be display the brightness level. (For desktop monitors to work, the monitor needs to support DDC/CI protocol).
  • The software works on desktop computers. So, if you want to enjoy controlling your desktop monitor screen brightness like a laptop display, via a keyboard shortcut, you can. Yes, it supports multiple displays. As long as they support DDC/CI protocol everything will work.
  • Ability to Turn off display (no idea if it will work properly with Connected Standby devices)
  • Provides additional keyboard shortcut for (which I think all or some where missing on the Surface Pro, and many laptops): volume control, turn off display and previous/next track.
  • High-DPI aware. Nice looking on all DPI levels.
Known issues:
  • I have no idea if turning off the display will put the system to sleep, on Connected Standby devices. I don't have a Surface Pro 3, or any other devices to test this.
  • Intel igfxHK.exe (Intel hot key software), blocks some keyboard shortcuts in PowerMonitor from working. I suggest to disable it from starting up. It just provides keyboard shortcuts to rotate the screen. This is useless, as devices like the Surface Pro, have a sensor to rotate the screen automatically. If you see it on your task manager or startup, it is safe to remove. Once removed, restart the the system so that it is unloaded from Windows, and PowerMonitor can register the define keyboard shortcuts properly, so that they work.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.