USB External Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by Jabob, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jabob

Jabob New Member

So I have a AOC USB powered external monitor (model is E1659fwu), when I connect it to my Surface Pro 2 it powers up but it only shows a black screen. I have looked through all the settings I can find as well as the manual with no luck. It worked fine the first time I plugged it in, but not since then. Just hoping someone has a idea as to how to fix it. Thanks.

2. drolem

drolem Active Member

Is it plugged directly into the SP2, or plugged in via a hub?

3. hotphil

hotphil Member

My first thoughts too. The power drain is too much.
    That monitor claims to operate at <8 watts when in use. The specs for USB3 seem to be up to 0.9 amps current draw. And a voltage of 5. So (and someone may well correct me on this) the USB max power available is 0.9 * 5 = 4.5 watts.
    So if the monitor's getting even close to its 8 watt max drain, that's over the specification for a USB3 socket. And I suspect the socket's not allowing it to drain that much. It'd probably work fine in a desktop PC where the hardware may well let it have the current it wants.

4. Jabob

Jabob New Member

I have tried it both using a hub and without, neither seems to work. It turns on and registers it but it only shows a black screen

5. hotphil

hotphil Member

Actually, before thinking about power, if it's displaying just a black screen have you configured the display settings to mirror/extend the display to the additional monitor?

6. Jabob

Jabob New Member

Ya, I have checked up on that, it is in extend mode. The surface also makes the USB connect noise several times when I plug it in. The display powers on but goes black. Not too sure why that is. I have even been able to drag an open program into the blank second screen, it still shows the program as running, but I can see it because the display is dark.

7. the_new_normal

the_new_normal Member

Try a few different resolutions (lower ones), see if you can get something to come up

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Have you installed the latest DisplayLink drivers? They are usually pretty good at updating their drivers (www.displaylink.com ). Another
    thing to try is if you have a split USB Cable that used to come with portable hard drives, try that plugging the power side into a USB to Power Adapter.