What's new

Where I see my remaining battery life in hours? And why so less energy options?

bender

Why the surface has no possibilities to set energy options and where I can see my remaining battery life?

Last edited:

ctitanic

Why the surface has no possibilities to set energy options and where I can see my rest battery life?
Welcome aboard.
The answer is simple. All the options under the Balanced Power plan has been tweaked to achieve the maximum of Battery life. Any changes will impact negatively the battery life.

The easiest way to gain control of all the options is to disable Connected Standby.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

After this registry change you need to reboot.

My advice. Once you are done, put the Connected Standby back.

daniielrp

Ok thanks a lot, and why I dont see the battery life in hours?

I can't give the actual answer, but my assumption is that those numbers were pointless.

I could be browsing using metro IE, and get a prediction of 8hrs, then I play game for 10mins and suddenly have a prediction of 2hrs.

My point being that Windows - the mix of MUI and desktop just makes it so difficult to predict battery life I'm much better off not being given some random prediction based on my last 5 mins of activity.

OP
B

bender

I think it calculates the remaining time if the usage remains the same... so I think this information is not pointless. If I'm working in PhotoShop a few hours I know a approximate time when I have to search a wall socket!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Connected Standby enabled Machines will always show Battery Life as Percentage as time remaining is useless because it depends on usage patterns and how often the machine is allowed to enter in Connected Standby....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I get 5 hours on the low end and 9 hours on the high end, it all depends on what I'm working on and if I'm able to let enter Connected Standby.

OP
B

bender

Connected Standby? Normally I'm running an Ubuntu VM, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Outlook and Eclipse / Netbeans or both sometimes OneNote, Spotiy and Chrome always opened! I don't know how you use your Nablet... but what you are meaning with Connected Standby? The change in the registry?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Connected Standby? Normally I'm running an Ubuntu VM, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Outlook and Eclipse / Netbeans or both sometimes OneNote, Spotiy and Chrome always opened! I don't know how you use your Nablet... but what you are meaning with Connected Standby? The change in the registry?
We now know why you're getting the battery life you're getting.... running VMs is going to impact battery life so is Chrome....

Connected Standby is the new sleep state that depending on what you are using for your Hypervisors you may or may not be using....

I use Azure to run all of my Virtual Machines as it doesn't impact my SP3's battery life, I run Visual Studio, SQL developer, etc... all on a VM in Azure.

OP
B

bender

Ok... I know about the VM problem. I use VMWare Workstation to run my Machines but they arent running all the time.

Normally the SF3 uses it or? Only if you disable it in the registry or?