What's new

Will SP2 get the Windows 9 ??

CrippsCorner

Probably fake. Usually Microsoft keep GUI changes last.
In addition, Microsoft experiments on GUI changes as well, so assuming it is a genuine leak, it may be not be like that, they are just trying with a rough draft and see how it works.

Microsoft showing fake pictures of their own operating system? I've heard it all now :p

both.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is not Windows 9. That is Windows 8.1 Update 2 when on you are on a desktop computer, or non touch screen device.

Or at least the Start Menu is....Windowed WinRT Apps may need to wait for another update (according to sources)

CrippsCorner

That is not Windows 9. That is Windows 8.1 Update 2 when on you are on a desktop computer, or non touch screen device.

Do you have a source for confirmation of that? Last time I read about it, it was being discussed whether that was going to be an update to Windows 8, or exclusive to Windows 9... with no finite decision either way.

I may have just genuinely missed confirmation :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No confirmations, just leaks to the usual suspects....Paul T. , Mary Jo, Dr. Pizza and Tom Warren have all reported Start Menu for August Update, Windowed Apps the next one. MJF's sources basically is saying the Dev Cycle is what can you get done in 6 months....

bluegrass

If the Start Menu makes it into Windows 8.x, a bunch of businesses might be willing to move off of Windows 7 and/or allow new equipment purchases to come with Windows 8.x. I know I'll never be installing a Windows 8.x machine on our domain until that happens. I'm still learning myself to get around without it. I still haven't figured out where they hid the "All Programs" list but I haven't hunted too hard for it either.

macmee

*shrugs* I am enjoying W8 overly worried about W9. The only feature I feel Windows is lacking is a Unix like terminal, Cygwin has its shortfalls.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

CrippsCorner

No confirmations, just leaks to the usual suspects....Paul T. , Mary Jo, Dr. Pizza and Tom Warren have all reported Start Menu for August Update, Windowed Apps the next one. MJF's sources basically is saying the Dev Cycle is what can you get done in 6 months....

Okay well I hope we see more updates on Windows 8, purely for the fact I shall not be getting Windows 9 (not until I get a new Surface... years away yet!) although I must admit none of these updates will effect my usage, just as Update 1 didn't.

GoodBytes

You can upgrade your Surface Pro to Windows 9. You don't need to buy a new system for every version of Windows.
My 5 year laptop, was running Vista, then got Win7, and Windows 8, 8.1, and now Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Last edited: