What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't think it was possible but my fan is blowing even harder now after last update. I'm starting to wonder if John Deere has the fan license on these bad boys?

I really just think you've got a faulty SP3. Noone else seems to have experienced this fan issue that i've read about. From this forum it seems that near all folk experience exactly the kind of fan activity they have always experienced. You on the other hand seem to have had nothing but fan noise.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get a fan noise when chrome casting. Watching anything on the sp3 might lend a little fans but I don't hear it

I'm back home and running wild around the internet streaming this and downloading that. The only time i get the fan coming on whatsoever is when i startup some battlefield etc Other than gaming and doing updates, it is completely silent. Anything but a john deer this or that. Hence why i think there is just something fundamentally wrong with mitch's device or OS. Unless he spends his entire time playing games or running prime95, then his fan experience is not normal.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get basically zero fan in W8.1.

And my point is that the majority seem to be getting zero fan under windows 10. You seem to be very much a minority with regard to fan noise hence the thought that there is something wrong with your system and that it's not something inherently wrong with windows 10.

GTiceman

And my point is that the majority seem to be getting zero fan under windows 10. You seem to be very much a minority with regard to fan noise hence the thought that there is something wrong with your system and that it's not something inherently wrong with windows 10.
Possible. Unlikely. My fan seems to be more than some. W10 is a bit all over.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Possible. Unlikely. My fan seems to be more than some. W10 is a bit all over.

As i say, it entirely depends on your usage, but it just seems odd that most peoples fan seems to have stayed the same, but Mitch seems to have had fan issues with win 10 from many many builds ago. Just saying that there is enough anecdotal evidence on this forum to suggest that this is not normal for win 10, and that so many things can go wrong during updates etc, and that many things can be sorted out with nothing more than a refresh. Per the first point though, would be interesting to learn if there are any specific applications running on his machine. It could just be that a specific app just isn't jiving well with 10. I'm just a hobbyist, i like building things not reading about codes and bugs, so i genuinely know nothing on this topic, but know that i and others don't experience this.

What i do experience, is that Panos or whoever it was at the sp3 launch conference, "fanless" can go and **** off. When i load up a game, this thing on the other side of my room is indescribably louder than my main gaming rig which is just using stock chasis fans and intel hsf etc. That's the one thing i want in the sp4, keep the cpu performance, does the job, i'll not say no too more gpu performance, but if it were fanless it would be a pretty formidable travelling device (i'd be pretty pee'd off if i was sat next to someone on a coach/plane/train with a device that makes this much noise)

Haldi

Anybody have a quick and easy way of changing default sound device when moving the SP3 back and forth between the port replicator and undocked short of going into Control Panel > Sound and changing it every time?

You could try NirCMD i've been using this on windows 7 and with my Logitech G930 to easily switch sound devices without GUI and the Buttons on the Heatset.

setdefaultsounddevice [Device Name] {Role}
Set the default sound device on Windows 7/Vista/2008. The [Device Name] is the name of the device, as appeared in the sound devices list of windows, for example: Speakers, Line In, Microphone, and so on...
The {Role} parameter is optional and may countain one of the following values: 0 for Console (the default value), 1 for Multimedia, and 2 for Communications.
Examples:
setdefaultsounddevice "Line In"
setdefaultsounddevice "Microphone" 2

No idea what it will do on Windows 10.

Gbenro

My fan also makes noise at times. Seems to be a bit better with this latest build though.

There seems to be some bugs in tablet mode also. At times, my start button doesn't work and swiping in from left or right does nothing. I essentially just end up stuck in the current application I'm using till I restart. Of note, when this happens and I lock my screen, I have to press windows + power to unlock.

In addition, my SP3 doesn't really go to sleep when in my bag. On this build, I haven't left it unplugged once and returned to not see the battery all drained. Guessing they'll fix the power management sometime in the future.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bugs in 10074, including Tablet Mode problems may be addressed soon by one of the circulating 101xx Builds. Watching day and night for it.

Joshua trees under the stars with Windows 10
Screenshot (24).png

frosty

Picking up my i5 256Gig SP3 today and would like to put Win 10 Insider Preview 10074 on straight away.
I have the ISO of the 64bit version of it on DVD. (have usb ext dvd drive)

What the best procedure to install it, over the top of win8.1 or a new clean install wiping 8.1 first?

Also what's best method to make a backup of the SP3 with 8.1 on it in case I need to go back to stock.

Thanks for any help, and looking forward to the SP3

Frosty

rkz

2£ I get a very high fan usage and heat when leaving the computer docked (ie charging) and unattended for a while. Looks like it is indexing or something. When I return and pull up the system monitor it settles back down to normal very quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.