What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhaddy

Welcome @Mhaddy!

Is this a clean install, or did you update from Windows 8.1?
Thanks! Clean install. Always clean install :).

@Mhaddy ,

When you first install, OneDrive and the Microsoft App Store have lots of work to do. These are likely the causes of your lag. Leave your computer connected to WiFi as long as you can to let them catch up.

You may have already noticed that subsequent Windows Updates are very slow or completely halted until OneDrive is Up to date.
Very good point. Animations are much quicker now that Windows Updates, Dropbox and Google Drive have finished syncing.

A couple of other things I've noticed:
  1. I'm unable to adjust the brightness of my screen either through the widgets swipping from the right of the screen, or on the actual display settings. (I've also unchecked the "automatically adjust my brightness" checkbox).
  2. My screen never really "turns off" unless the SP3 is actually turned off. When I press the power button briefly, I expect the screen to turn off but the computer to remain on; however, what happens is that the screen just "turns to black", which isn't really off.

I used the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (MWDA) quite a bit yesterday. Worked okay.

Interesting. I have a brand new WDA connected to HDMI3 on my 2012 Samsung 3D LED TV. What can I possible do wrong to get flickering video and no audio (stays on the SP3). I tried to change the display mode to 2nd display. The SP screen went black and so did the TV. Could not find a way to back out except rebooting the SP3. And now it automatically attempts the same 2nd display mode with the same result. I dont get any chance to revert to Mirror screen. Colorado, do you know of a way to reset the WDA configuration back to default?

bender

Thanks for quick response...

I've tried it, but still the same. Samba shares from my win8.1 desktop are accessible, but not from my ws12!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Mh, without my samba shares from my network, w10 is useless...
What version of SAMBA are you using? My guess is the default SMB 3.0 Authentication attempts are not being recognized and being rejected rather than a request for SMB 2.0 or 1.0....

We saw this same behavior in the Windows Vista, 7 and 8 Beta Programs (Vista introduced SMB 2.0).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Version? I don't know, I've shared via Computer Management on my Windows Server 2012 R2...
You created a SAMBA Share on your Server 2012 R2 machine? Why? You can create a normal Windows Share as well from Computer Management and it should work as expected.

bender

Ya, if I do it like that on my Windows 8.1 machine, it'll work. But I need the data from the server!

Yea I've created a normal Windows Share on my server, but I can't connect to it! Errors like described!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ya, if I do it like that on my Windows 8.1 machine, it'll work. But I need the data from the server!

Yea I've created a normal Windows Share on my server, but I can't connect to it! Errors like described!
What happens if you try to create a network place? From the "This PC" view in Explore, right click in a blank space and select "Add a Network Location" which launches a Wizard, select "Choose a custom network location" then use the \\Servername\ShareName it should prompt use for user credentials, which should be an account the is either local to the server (i.e. servername\user) or if it is a domain (i.e. domainname\user) that has access to the share.

From the error, it appears Windows 10 is sending your Microsoft Account log-in info

bender

Oh, I always add it as network location or network drive!

But thanks, "servername\username" was the problem. On my w8.1 machine I just have to enter the username!

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
About this time on Sunday afternoons, I start getting stir crazy about waiting for a new Build.
I think that is because the response and stability of Windows 10 has been improving very much between the last few Builds.

Screenshot (45).png

Status
Not open for further replies.