What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsenerd

Sorry if this has been asked/answered - but how do I change the brightness of my SP3? I'm on the latest version, all updates applied. Thanks.

Try this well optimized routine :-D

Touch or click on the battery icon...then "Adjust screen brightness"...then on the very bottom of the Power Options window you will see a scroller for Screen brightness.

Usability enhancements at their best :)

wynand32

Windows 10 should not post any Notifications: "Do you want to enter Tablet mode?". That is worse than "Are we there, yet?".

Seems to me like they got a little lazy there, using the same notification for both system messages and app messages. Maybe they'll fix it, or add a flag to system messages that says, "Don't put this in the Action Center." Either way, I agree: it's annoying.

lhauser

OK, here's my experience, and a question...

Actually, question first: On my SP3's type cover, the touchpad wants to go the wrong direction for scrolling. That is, to scroll the display down, I have to gesture upward on the trackpad. I know I could change this in 8.1, but I can't find where to do it in 10.

Anyway, I did a clean install Friday night of 9879 on my i5/128, then installed the driver set from September, -- at least that's what the downloaded driver set I had onhand was dated, so maybe it's really from August? -- then let Windows Update do the upgrade to 9926. So far, no problems. I haven't tried playing videos yet, but I have had no display problems at all.

I'm not sure I like the scrolly far-left start menu, either, so I'm busy putting all my critical stuff on the start window and quick launch. I haven't tried pen input yet, either...probably later today. The "folders" on the start menu are a little odd as well...I don't seem to be able to move icons around very consistently, and I wish there was an option to delete a blank group name field.

Overall, pretty happy so far, except for the trackpad scrolling thing.

mitchellvii

Has anyone figured out how to make the pen button open Desktop OneNote 2013 instead of MUI OneNote? I set it to default which used to work but no longer does.

MUI OneNote seems to have removed the option to change pen thickness? Only choice you have is ultra-fine which kind of blows. Whatever happened to the cool and useful little pop-up pie controls? Is this another example of M$ improving our lives by breaking something everyone loved?

rkz

Well then, I was obviously wrong about that. Bloggers at other sites are also reporting that these two options are missing, but perhaps account verification steps can restore one or both.

My pin login is there and it works but this was a carryover as part of my in place upgrade. Perhaps that makes a difference.

rkz

Seems to me like they got a little lazy there, using the same notification for both system messages and app messages. Maybe they'll fix it, or add a flag to system messages that says, "Don't put this in the Action Center." Either way, I agree: it's annoying.
This needs to be recommended to microsoft through their feedback app or via their website. I will like it 100x if I could

GTiceman

I had the PIN issue on an earlier W10 build but it was working on 9879 and is still working on 9926. I'm also not having any fan or video issues. I haven't monkeyed with the video drives, and have done straight upgrades from W8.1 on my (new then) SP3 until now. I don't remember what I did to fix the PIN issue other than resetting the PIN.

Update: I played more with video and I'm having the opposite problem than SharpColorado. I can play local video fine, but IE crashes if I try to stream video. The YouTubeHD Modern UI app also dies if trying to stream.

I am wondering if I should go down to 9879, never on this system before, then upgrade to 9926.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, here's my experience, and a question...

Actually, question first: On my SP3's type cover, the touchpad wants to go the wrong direction for scrolling. That is, to scroll the display down, I have to gesture upward on the trackpad. I know I could change this in 8.1, but I can't find where to do it in 10.

Anyway, I did a clean install Friday night of 9879 on my i5/128, then installed the driver set from September, -- at least that's what the downloaded driver set I had onhand was dated, so maybe it's really from August? -- then let Windows Update do the upgrade to 9926. So far, no problems. I haven't tried playing videos yet, but I have had no display problems at all.

I'm not sure I like the scrolly far-left start menu, either, so I'm busy putting all my critical stuff on the start window and quick launch. I haven't tried pen input yet, either...probably later today. The "folders" on the start menu are a little odd as well...I don't seem to be able to move icons around very consistently, and I wish there was an option to delete a blank group name field.

Overall, pretty happy so far, except for the trackpad scrolling thing.

Multitouch on the trackpad is attempting to duplicate a touch screen. You swipe up on a touch screen so they try and mae the transition from screen to touch pad seamless, in their opinion, by making the same gestures do the same thing.

If this was available to chsnge in windows 8 then i assume it will exist in 10 at the point where they consider this a priority.

lhauser

Multitouch on the trackpad is attempting to duplicate a touch screen. You swipe up on a touch screen so they try and mae the transition from screen to touch pad seamless, in their opinion, by making the same gestures do the same thing.

If this was available to chsnge in windows 8 then i assume it will exist in 10 at the point where they consider this a priority.

I mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the option somewhere. I suppose that makes sense, but (to me) while it does seem perfectly natural on the screen, it doesn't on the mouse. I'll give them a little feedback about it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone figured out how to make the pen button open Desktop OneNote 2013 instead of MUI OneNote? I set it to default which used to work but no longer does.

MUI OneNote seems to have removed the option to change pen thickness? Only choice you have is ultra-fine which kind of blows. Whatever happened to the cool and useful little pop-up pie controls? Is this another example of M$ improving our lives by breaking something everyone loved?
Install the Surface Hub (The App not the 84" Tablet) and set it there....

Status
Not open for further replies.