Windows 8.1 Update 1 fixes the "slow Wi-Fi when bluetooth devices connected" problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by kevinlevrone, Mar 9, 2014.

1. kevinlevrone

kevinlevrone Active Member

Hi,

I had this annoying problem, when some Bluetooth device was connected to my Surface Pro 2, the Wi-Fi speeds would drop significantly to the point of becoming unusable. This was bearable with my mouse connected, but when the Bose SoundLink Mini was playing music from the tablet, I could barely run a YouTube video at the same time !

I have to say that after I installed Windows 8.1 Update 1, this problem is gone. I have tested it multiple times, now the Wi-Fi speed is unaffected by my Bluetooth speaker and mouse being actively used at the same time. I have download speeds of a few megabytes, when I couldn't get over 20-50 kilobytes before. And I am only using the 2.4GHz band, the one affected by the problem.

I was on the verge of spending around $200 for a dual-band router + new DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, but for now I saved the money.

I would like to hear others opinions (who installed the update) on this too. Was the problem fixed on your end ?

2. InkyRag

InkyRag New Member

I have Update 1 installed and just tested and my speed on 2.4Ghz is still about half with bluetooth turned on. I am quite sure this is a hardware/driver issue. Update 1 did not update any drivers that I could see.

3. kevinlevrone

My download speed was much worse with Bluetooth connected. Like 5-10 times lower than without Bluetooth. But only with bandwidth-consuming Bluetooth devices (eg. Bluetooth speaker), not with the Bluetooth mouse. Did you use any bandwidth-consuming devices, or just mouse ?

4. InkyRag

InkyRag New Member

Just a mouse

5. sabesh

sabesh New Member

I see no mouse lag while downloading now (on 2.4).

6. sagatiba

sagatiba New Member

What is the code of the update?

7. kevinlevrone

KB2919442, KB2939087, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2938439, KB2937592. KB2919355 is the main one, the other ones are auxiliary.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. beq

beq Member

I've also been forced to switch the Wi-Fi to 5GHz 802.11a when the SP2 is actively paired w/ my Plantronics BT headset (otherwise streaming video playback gets choppy). Looking forward to testing Win 8.1 Update 1...

9. kevinlevrone

This has certainly been fixed. Probably not the "halving the Wi-Fi speed when Bluetooth active", but still it's a huge improvement.

10. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Well I use Bluetooth audio and had to change to 5GHz because it made it run terribly. My mouse was affected too... not running Update 1 until it's officially released though, look forward to trying it out! In a way I'll be pissed if it is lol as I just spent £70 on my AirPort Express [​IMG]

11. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I've watch my update history in the control panel all the time and I've never seen any update called Update 1. I have noticed something peculiar though. It looks like every 4 or 5 days or so it installs System Firmware Update - 2/11/2014 again. Wish I knew what that was all about.

I also run the Bose Soundlink via Bluetooth. The same one you mentioned. Fantastic little speakers. I also have the bigger one. I have never had a problem listening to music over the Internet using the Bose Soundlink.

12. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Update 1 was leaked by MS accidentally, they put it on their Update Servers for a group of testers and the registry key to allow the update was leaked. It won't be publicly available till April 8th.