What's new

Windows 9....wait, scratch that.....Windows 10!!!

Zog1971

Windows 10 is coming! The initial videos are showing some cool enhancements like the addition of the start menu and the ability to manipulate Metro apps in sizable/movable windows on the desktop. Yay! Thoughts?????

Seneleron

The initial videos are showing some cool enhancements like the addition of the start menu

"The Initial videos are showing the reintroduction of the absolute WORST FEATURE OF WINDOWS EVER: the start menu"

Fixed that for you.

/click windows button, try to click programs, menu closes. Click windows button, make it to programs, mouse drifts off what you wanted to click on at last second, wrong program opens, menu closes. click windows button, open programs. . . .

20 minutes later, give up, full format reinstall, install Win8.1.

Ok, I actually like the apps portion of the new start menu, and I can completely ignore the directory tree [I'm good at that, I've been doing it since Win95] But SOMEONE had to say it :D

GTiceman

The big thing here is you have a choice between screen or button. also the system functions differently when using touch v keyboard and mouse.

malberttoo

"The Initial videos are showing the reintroduction of the absolute WORST FEATURE OF WINDOWS EVER: the start menu"

Fixed that for you.

/click windows button, try to click programs, menu closes. Click windows button, make it to programs, mouse drifts off what you wanted to click on at last second, wrong program opens, menu closes. click windows button, open programs. . . .

20 minutes later, give up, full format reinstall, install Win8.1.

Ok, I actually like the apps portion of the new start menu, and I can completely ignore the directory tree [I'm good at that, I've been doing it since Win95] But SOMEONE had to say it :D

I can on some level understand where you're coming from... but at the same time, I made a lot of house-calls to customers' businesses and homes who bought a Windows 8 machine, and then promptly had me install Start 8, to give them their start menu back. * I * was mad that they took it away as well, I liked it.

On the other hand, several friends who are IT guys said that same thing you did- "Meh, who cares!! Who needs the Start Menu!!"

The issues I have with it at the end of the day, is that it would have been no trouble at all for Microsoft to give users the choice of what they wanted to do. It really was the height of foolish arrogance to simply force upon its users an incredibly large change with no warning, or not even an in-between OS, like what Windows 10 looks to be now. You can't take something that has been a cornerstone, hallmark part of your OS's GUI since as long as most folks can remember, and then just remove it, and expect people to deal with it. You as a power user obviously can :D... but most of the sheep voted with their wallets by either not buying it, or finding some way to get it back to Windows 7's GUI.

Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been.

mohcho

Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been.

Amen.

The same could've been said about Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been. Same goes for Windows XP is what Windows ME should have been... and so on.

Seems that when Microsoft releases a new OS, the next iteration is really what have been released, but due to timelines and pressure, they release it well before they have thought through all the changes and have dealt with the major issues.