What's new

1 for 2 on a new Surface 3

talon90

Picked up a Surface 3 for a co-worker from Best Buy two weeks ago. Bought the whole junior woodchuck survival kit (Surface, keyboard, Arcsoft touch mouse, mini DP to HDMI adapter and pen). It started and charged fine out of the box. Shortly after charging it started locking up randomly. Installed several bits of company software (MRP system, MS Office 2013) and all went well. Several restarts, wake from sleep, put to sleep with the button all was fine as far as I could see. Finally, I powered it off for the night letting Windows updates download.

The next morning, it wouldn't start. No combination of button presses would wake the device or power it back on. Tried the two finger start, tried with AC connected, without AC connected, with keyboard connected, without keyboard connected and nothing. The power button just didn't feel quite right. Then, while left alone (me searching the Internet and forums for a fix) it started on it's own after about 20 minutes. Typed in the password and the screen went completely nuts - garbled image and no mouse control or touch screen functionality. It finally took a long press on the power button to shut it down. That was the last time it worked. Bummer. Left town on an extended business trip and upon return, still nothing and no mention of this issue on any of the forums.

We've now exchanged the device for a replacement and it seems fine. I was so disappointed. I'm a SP3 owner. I've convinced several others in my organization on the merits of these devices. We now have five SP3's in use among our management staff (all of us are paying out of pocket for these...we like them that much). Of our five, we have had one fail within the first 48 hours but the replacement device was perfect.

The purpose for the Surface device is that with the lower price point and solid (predicted) functionality, my Boss is finally considering adopting this platform. His plan was to watch how the first Surface 3 did and consider adding one for himself and for the CFO in our efforts to go paperless. Unfortunately, It did not go well and now he is back to being skeptical and I'm back to "making excuses and allowances."

I still love my SP3 device and use it daily - my only work laptop and it has behaved flawlessly. I have the mouse, the keyboard, the docking station and every adapter available. I really want this to work but as an engineering and quality professional, I hate that the final quality of the device hasn't been stellar. It seems if you get a good one, you are set but if you get a bad one, oh well.

Here's hoping that the bugs get worked out and this device has a chance to prosper. I like the new form factor, the speed seems adequate and the price point makes it attractive to really do well in the market. I hope that build quality is brought under control to allow that all to happen. This was not meant to be an attack or a gripe session and I hope it didn't come across that way. I just have high hopes for this platform and I'd like to see some effort put forth to support it. It isn't easy to sway corporate culture and it doesn't take too many false starts to just give up on it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO Bugs notwithstanding it seems the Surface 3 has experienced far fewer bugs than the Surface Pro's have had although perhaps not fewer than the Surface 2 or RT.

malberttoo

His plan was to watch how the first Surface 3 did and consider adding one for himself and for the CFO in our efforts to go paperless. Unfortunately, It did not go well and now he is back to being skeptical and I'm back to "making excuses and allowances."

I completely understand your frustration and disappointment, as my own very first SP3 was defective straight out of the box. I wasn't happy about it, but it happens. You stated that your group has several SP3's working well, and I'm just curious- what was the reasoning in going with a S3, which is a completely different device (different proc, chipset, graphics, etc), and not really comparable to a SP3? Honest question, not throwing rocks...

OP
talon90

talon90

IMO Bugs notwithstanding it seems the Surface 3 has experienced far fewer bugs than the Surface Pro's have had although perhaps not fewer than the Surface 2 or RT.

I suspect you are correct. For me for a product at launch, it was one too many, LOL. Every product can have problems no matter how much care has been taken. If 30 years in manufacturing has taught me anything it's taught me that.

OP
talon90

talon90

I completely understand your frustration and disappointment, as my own very first SP3 was defective straight out of the box. I wasn't happy about it, but it happens. You stated that your group has several SP3's working well, and I'm just curious- what was the reasoning in going with a S3, which is a completely different device (different proc, chipset, graphics, etc), and not really comparable to a SP3? Honest question, not throwing rocks...

It does happen. I'm fine with it and I suspect that we'll move on with our plan barring any other issues. Just really poor timing for me.

On the S3 vs. the SP3, great question and I didn't at all interpret it as throwing rocks. At work, we have two distinct classifications of users, power users and everyone else. The SP3 is a requirement for our power users. AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Statistical Analysis, Solidworks for the power users and our MRP system (Green screen, DOS in a box application), email, some basic spreadsheet, presentation, reporting - basic MSOffice stuff for the normal users. The hard sell for us on the tablet form factor has always been the price. We tried iPads but there was always a compromise or a work around needed. Works for some of us that like the challenge but not for everyone.

With the SP3 it was hard to justify (when all is said and done) north of $1,000 for the tablet, keyboard, accessories, etc. when you end up needing a monitor and often, separate keyboard for daily use when a really high spec laptop can be had for $600 - $750.00. For our basic user, the Atom processor was plenty, and the $499 price of admission (obviously plus keyboard, etc.) made my boss and our CFO take notice. They like what they see us doing with our SP3's in meetings. Notetaking with a pen, ability to annotate MSOffice and PDF's and hate dragging their full size laptops around. The smaller form factor was even more attractive to them than our SP3's. For that, to each their own, LOL and I wasn't about to argue.

malberttoo

It does happen. I'm fine with it and I suspect that we'll move on with our plan barring any other issues. Just really poor timing for me.

On the S3 vs. the SP3, great question and I didn't at all interpret it as throwing rocks. At work, we have two distinct classifications of users, power users and everyone else. The SP3 is a requirement for our power users. AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Statistical Analysis, Solidworks for the power users and our MRP system (Green screen, DOS in a box application), email, some basic spreadsheet, presentation, reporting - basic MSOffice stuff for the normal users. The hard sell for us on the tablet form factor has always been the price. We tried iPads but there was always a compromise or a work around needed. Works for some of us that like the challenge but not for everyone.

With the SP3 it was hard to justify (when all is said and done) north of $1,000 for the tablet, keyboard, accessories, etc. when you end up needing a monitor and often, separate keyboard for daily use when a really high spec laptop can be had for $600 - $750.00. For our basic user, the Atom processor was plenty, and the $499 price of admission (obviously plus keyboard, etc.) made my boss and our CFO take notice. They like what they see us doing with our SP3's in meetings. Notetaking with a pen, ability to annotate MSOffice and PDF's and hate dragging their full size laptops around. The smaller form factor was even more attractive to them than our SP3's. For that, to each their own, LOL and I wasn't about to argue.

Well that's cool that they were open to them. My buddy is the IT manager at a large company, and he and his 2 techs got SP3's on release day and love them. Then one of the C-level dudes saw one and wanted one, and he put it to really good use and loved it. Now almost the whole upper management and most of the C-level folks are on them, happily. My buddy said it was one of the most rewarding things that has happened while he's been there. :D