What's new

10% student discounts on preorder

bamaster

Yeah, that's how I ordered mine. Basically paid for the Type cover. Gunna help since I'm also buying MS Complete warranty after it arrives.

While I am a graduate student... a 43 year old one at that... it didn't ask me for my email address.

I did have to get a coupon code when I bought my SP2, though.

kristalsoldier

If you don't have an edu e-mail, call Microsoft.

What do you mean? How does this work? Also, what if I am a member of a higher educational institution but am overseas - can I use my academic email for the same purposes? I can also provide copies of my University ID, if required.

GoodBytes

What do you mean? How does this work? Also, what if I am a member of a higher educational institution but am overseas - can I use my academic email for the same purposes? I can also provide copies of my University ID, if required.

You can call Microsoft to order. You can say that you are student (I am not sure for faculty member.. I am a student in Canada, so no .edu e-mail, we have .ca), get it verified (they have a few ways), and once done, you get 10% off.

kristalsoldier

You can call Microsoft to order. You can say that you are student (I am not sure for faculty member.. I am a student in Canada, so no .edu e-mail, we have .ca), get it verified (they have a few ways), and once done, you get 10% off.

Thanks. I am going to be in Canada next month for 30 days or so working with my counterparts and was planning to buy the SP3 from the MS Store in Toronto. Can I use my UK university email/ ID as proof or is the student discount restricted to Canadian universities?

GoodBytes

The closest Microsoft store is 6h drive in ideal conditions to get to the city where it is. Then I need to get to the store. (Toronto). So I have no idea. But I would assume showing your student ID card should be good.

kristalsoldier

The closest Microsoft store is 6h drive in ideal conditions to get to the city where it is. Then I need to get to the store. (Toronto). So I have no idea. But I would assume showing your student ID card should be good.

You mean a UK University ID should also work in the Toronto store. I will be in downtown Toronto for a day or two before I head out to my final destination and was planning to buy the SP3 from there (if it is available in-store, that is). I do hope (1) it is available and (2) if they accept my UK ID then that would be the icing on the cake!

Thanks for your help.

Klownicle

I tried to order and reached the checkout page without asking for any .edu email?!

Although unconfirmed by myself, you don't need an edu e-mail and there is no verification at least immediately. I think once you sign up for the "educational" part by being in your account, I've read they verify yearly if your still educational. All you do is select the state and city for the school, then select the school. And volia discounted prices @ checkout.

That being said, Microsoft stores offer the same discount, and do not even check ID. I get the feeling its very laxed.

Everything above is heresay, and I have no source or proof of otherwise. With that in mind, my brother is an educator, and I've bought him this as a gift. :p