What's new

128 GB SDXC Great Performance on Surface Pro 2 - Spaced Out

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My Sandisk Extreme Plus 64gb is twice as fast as my 128gb MicroSDXC. While it's nice to have the space, one does get used to faster speeds than the current 128gb has.

Yes, 64 GB vs 128 GB is the difference in the benchmarks shown. Definitely a trade-off. The extra storage is good for \Dcuments like those associated with Office, photos, and .pdf, since such files are generally used by clients which roll the files into RAM, not slaving a drive.

beq

I agree, that Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC is nice for the size. I'm testing one to store daily hot incremental images of a system drive (since my family members won't always be in the LAN, and it's not convenient to attach a USB drive each time). ShadowProtect showed the compressed block-level imaging process averaging just 10MB/s to this (exFAT) card, vs 100MB/s to a USB 3.0 (NTFS) HDD. So it's definitely slow, but I think manageable for incrementals. The 128GB size makes it feasible, as long as the internal drive doesn't store too much, and I restrict how many sets of images to keep.

But for some other uses I'd prefer that faster Extreme Plus 64GB MicroSDXC. Haven't bought more though, since I'm hoping they'll have a 128GB version soon??

I remember having bought five or six of the Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC cards when they first came out, though most aren't even being used by family members...

beq

Here are my primary drive results:

View attachment 2055

And here's the SSD, seems a bit slower overall than yours:

View attachment 2056

Here's my 256 SP2. I do get benchmark variations from run to run, as well as different results from my family's 256 and 512 SP2 units. For SSD/flash testing, does it make a difference how full/empty the drive is? What about how hot it's been running?

Surface-pkl_C.png

ATTO Disk Benchmark
Surface-pkl_C.png

beq

Sandisk 128GB Ultra microSDXC
Model SDSDQUA-128G-G46A
Speed up to 30 MB/s 200X

View attachment 2049
Nice, I too got similar results with this 128GB card in my SP2.

Though the larger 128GB SDXC card is a bit slower than the 64GB card from the same manufacturer, I think it is well worth having the extra space. ;)

My Sandisk Extreme Plus 64gb is twice as fast as my 128gb MicroSDXC. While it's nice to have the space, one does get used to faster speeds than the current 128gb has.
Agree, I found that the fastest microSDXC cards can have twice the sequential read speed, and five to six times the write speed! Starts to rival USB 3.0 portable HDDs...