What's new

A Free Keyboard

dlacaba

It is really a matter of preference. No problem with the touch cover for me. I think many people also assume the touch cover is some how inferior and get type covers without giving the touch a shot first. Then when they give their positive reviews on the type cover they imply they got it because it is better than the touch cover but don't really have basis for comparison. Because of the costs only a few people are able adequately test both.

This, the touch keyboard is actually pretty formidable. I was lucky enough to borrow one for a couple weeks and once you get used to it, you can type almost as fast as the type cover. It makes up for this slight speed difference by making the surface much more comfortable hold when the keyboard is folded back compared to feeling type cover keys. It also feels lighter with the touch cover. I think I'd still choose the type cover if I did it over again, but I don't mind at all the Touch Cover.

kristalsoldier

I think I am going to buy a Touch Cover next week! I've gotta try it out. That said, I will always have the Type Cover...you know, just in case!

OP
N

NGC

Including the keyboard in the price would be an extremely positive marketing decision to get more users with this small price drop. As for type vs touch we are all different. I tried the touch keyboard for an hour at the Microsoft Store and hated it. Type works wonderfully for me.
$999 for 128 Surface Pro with keyboard included. Microsoft would be better to make this drop now when the Surface is the best notebook alternative on the market.

tonyz3

I have a feeling --the buy it separately-- also had to do with the issues with the cover after the RT came out. My wifes RT had an issue with the touch cover pulling apart at the hinge. She reads a lot of books so always had it folded back. Because it was bundled with the RT they covered it with no questions asked with the protection. When i purchased the Pro a few months later they told me the protection only covered the tablet not the type cover because it was separate. I am sure this went into the decision some what.

machistmo

It is really a matter of preference. No problem with the touch cover for me. I think many people also assume the touch cover is some how inferior and get type covers without giving the touch a shot first. Then when they give their positive reviews on the type cover they imply they got it because it is better than the touch cover but don't really have basis for comparison. Because of the costs only a few people are able adequately test both.

Either way a free keyboard would be nice but I have no problems with how MS is handling it. As long as we are dreaming why not give the Surface away. That would be the best way to get a lot of users to the platform. Way more than just giving the keyboard for free ;)

The touch should be included in the price. The type should be a $29 Upgrade. It is after all an ULTRA-UTLRABOOK. The Wedge should be a $40 upgrade as well. I wouldn't try charging Apple-Crazy-IvegotmoremoneythanIknowwhattodowith prices unless I was selling their unit totals. Microsoft has to get with the program. They should also rethink the price point, it should be 150 less for each, 750 and 850. This would improve the availability of the device substantially. Remember when they used to charge you to BUY Internet Explorer? LOL, how long did that last?

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Charging extra for the type cover was a classic case of stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. I'm sure MS "focus-grouped" it with their favorite team of stoners and found that people actually ENJOYED paying extra for keyboards.

tumblr_m3tgqjjdXw1qzx780o1_400.gif <<< Microsoft Focus Group

Last edited: