What's new

Add the Bluetooth Device Pairing Shortcut and Tile You Really Need- Windows 8 and 8.1

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use my Surface Pro 3 often with Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, GPS, or audio devices. I know that Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 can display a Bluetooth tool in the Notification area (bottom-right) of the desktop. But try it. You will find out that this icon, or right-mouse click options from it, all bring you to PC Settings screens, leaving you to navigate further to the proper Bluetooth paired devices display. Windows 8 does not provide a single launch shortcut for getting a list of connected or paired Bluetooth devices.

I've discovered a trick to get Windows to go to the Bluetooth paired devices screen, which involves commanding Windows to open the Bluetooth Devices area of the Control Panel TWICE in short succession. I use it to remove or refresh devices (Jambox, mouse, headsets).

Here is how to add:
- Shortcut to the Start Menu (tiles) to view the Bluetooth pairing screen
- Shortcut on the desktop (icon) to view the Bluetooth pairing screen

Follow these steps:

1. Browse to any existing or new folder you desire (such as your Documents location)
2. Right-click the mouse and choose New, Text document. Notepad will open.

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

3. Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 - Leads to PC Settings Location - Paste these two lines into the new text document:
Code:
%windir%\explorer.exe %localappdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US\AAA_SettingsPagePCSystemBluetooth.settingcontent-ms
%windir%\explorer.exe %localappdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US\AAA_SettingsPagePCSystemBluetooth.settingcontent-ms

[Note: If you are not using USA English language pack, change the "en-US" to the pack you use.]

OR

3. Windows 8- Leads to Control Panel Location - Paste this line into the new text document:
Code:
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{28803F59-3A75-4058-995F-4EE5503B023C}

4. Save the file as BluetoothDevices.bat (save as type 'all files')
5. On your desktop, create a new shortcut by a right-click, New, Shortcut
6. Type or browse to the path to your BluetoothDevices.bat file, click Next, and name it "Bluetooth Devices", and finish.
7. Change the icon to a Bluetooth symbol by a right-click on your new desktop shortcut. Choose Properties, Change Icon, and look for icons in this file:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\System32\DevicePairingFolder.dll
8. Click OK to finish editing the shortcut.
9. Now to add a tile to the Start Menu (Metro), right-click your new desktop shortcut, and then Copy.
10. Browse to folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
11. Right-click in that folder, and Paste. Confirm permission to do so.

You are done!

Here are pics of the shortcut on my desktop and the Start Menu, and also the resulting display.

Screenshot (34).png
Photo of Oregon's Painted Hills by Mark DeJohn ART, LMT, CSTI

Screenshot (32).png

Screenshot (33).png

Arizona Willie

Something is wrong. I have a Surface Pro 128 ( original issue ) and when I click the Bluetooth icon it opens two instances of File Explorer to the folder: This PC/ Documents.

:disappointed:

I have printed out the BluetoothDevices.bat file on the Surface and it appears to match exactly what you have posted.

What have I done wrong?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Something is wrong. I have a Surface Pro 128 ( original issue ) and when I click the Bluetooth icon it opens two instances of File Explorer to the folder: This PC/ Documents.

:disappointed:
I have printed out the BluetoothDevices.bat file on the Surface and it appears to match exactly what you have posted.
What have I done wrong?

Hey there, Willie,

You must not be using Windows 8.1 ?
I edited the instructions to point out differences in OS versions. See if the second two lines land you in a better place. ;)

Arizona Willie

According to Control Panel / System under Windows Edition it says Windows 8.1 Pro.
I am using the 64 bit version.

Hey there, Willie,

You must not be using Windows 8.1 ?
I edited the instructions to point out differences in OS versions. See if the second two lines land you in a better place. ;)

Arizona Willie

Okay I added the third line and it opened the folder for Bluetooth devices.
However, it still opens two instances of File Explorer before it does that.
Should I delete any of the first two lines or do we just have to put up with the extra stuff being opened?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Willie,

Try deleting both the first lines, and only keep the third one you have. Let me know...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Kayzee.

Yes, you can:

- Use those four keystrokes, if you are not using tablet mode
- Perform five taps, if you are using tablet mode
- Or use this shortcut.

:)

DJ_Sam

I found closing the space in panel in the sections "windows.immersivecontrolpa nel_cw5n1h2txyewy" works.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, DJ_Sam, you have revealed a space that this site added. I changed the original post to show the literal code.
Thanks. ;)

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Thanks, Kayzee.

Yes, you can:

- Use those four keystrokes, if you are not using tablet mode
- Perform five taps, if you are using tablet mode
- Or use this shortcut.

:)

True, it does make it a hell of a lot easier if you have the keyboard attached! Which I do most of the time. If I didn't, your way seems great :)