What's new

Add to Apps Feature

dniezby

Anyone testing W10 TP and try to use their "pinned" URL links? They don't work. What does work though is using the "Add Site to Apps" feature.It then adds the site you want to your FULL start menu (All Apps) which you will later have to add to your scrolling start menu.

To save a website this way, you need to open IE and click on the Gear Icon, select Add Site to App.

What's strange is that when you click the link that way, it seems to open the site literally as an app. There is an address bar but the home button and some other browser icons don't appear. Anyone else see this feature or try it?I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish that Spartan was available for us to test.

I didn't think I would like this "hybrid" OS as I actually was one of those few that liked W8. I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like Windows 10. Hope they work out the few bugs that I've found and others.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I like the way Windows 10 handles the treatment of URLs as Apps.

ADD URLs AS "APPS" TO YOUR START MENU AND TILES
1) Browse to the site you wish to add as a tile on the Start Menu or as an App
2) Click the gear icon, "Add site to Apps", or Alt,Tools, "Add site to Apps"
3) Your Start menu will show the URL in the alphabetically-sorted list, or as "Recently added". Option-click on that item, and "Pin to Start"
4) Resize as needed.

When you first launch a URL as an App from the Start Menu, the Favorites, Menu, Command, or Status bars are not shown, in order to simplify the window to appear as an App. You may add these items by option-clicking on the title bar. Amazingly, the App remembers your preferences for the next launch.

OP
dniezby

dniezby

Thanks for cleaning up my info. Much easier to follow. Like a manual. I too like how it handles URL Links as apps. I hope people take advantage of that.

I hope, in Spartan or in the next release that they make it a little more obvious or at least faster to set up.