What's new

Amazon Instant Video not working with Windows RT 8.1 upgrade

sdb

Before I updated my Surface RT to 8.1 Amazon Instant Video was working fine. Now, after I upgraded, I get this message:

'Playback Error - Sorry we were unable to stream this video. This is likely because your Flash Player needs to be updated.'

Apparently Flash for RT can only be updated through Windows update, not Adobe, and my updates are current.

I tried Hulu and Youtube and they both work.

Has anyone else had this issue this or am I the only one using Instant Video on RT with 8.1?

Thanks,

ChemCat

Weird things can happen with an update instead of clean install. For example, when I upped to 8.1, my tab stopped recognizing the touch cover. I had to do a refresh. I recommend you do the same.

oion

Before I updated my Surface RT to 8.1 Amazon Instant Video was working fine. Now, after I upgraded, I get this message:

'Playback Error - Sorry we were unable to stream this video. This is likely because your Flash Player needs to be updated.'

Apparently Flash for RT can only be updated through Windows update, not Adobe, and my updates are current.

I tried Hulu and Youtube and they both work.

Has anyone else had this issue this or am I the only one using Instant Video on RT with 8.1?

Thanks,

I stream Amazon Prime all the time on both my Surface (8.1) and desktop (Win7/multiple browsers). Heck, I occasionally get that error popup on my desktop while my Surface streamed the same video fine, at the same time on the same network, and the opposite has happened as well; or it works in one browser and not another and after an hour or so, the first browser works again (this has happened before, talk about confusing). I haven't really figured out any rhyme or reason to it.

A refresh might help, as ChemCat says, and make sure you check for all Windows updates.

kristalsoldier

I stream Amazon Prime all the time on both my Surface (8.1) and desktop (Win7/multiple browsers). Heck, I occasionally get that error popup on my desktop while my Surface streamed the same video fine, at the same time on the same network, and the opposite has happened as well; or it works in one browser and not another and after an hour or so, the first browser works again (this has happened before, talk about confusing). I haven't really figured out any rhyme or reason to it.

A refresh might help, as ChemCat says, and make sure you check for all Windows updates.

How do you do this?

EMINENT

Clear cookies?

oion

How do you do this?

Play directly from the browser when logged into Amazon's website. I use IE desktop for my login websites out of habit, though, and also because sound can continue in the background (without snapping) while I do other stuff.

Clear cookies?

I don't remember if I tried that when I ran into weird AmaPrime streaming issues across my browsers, but I'll try it at some point.

Streaming ST:TNG on Amazon Prime now. ;)

kristalsoldier

Play directly from the browser when logged into Amazon's website. I use IE desktop for my login websites out of habit, though, and also because sound can continue in the background (without snapping) while I do other stuff.

I tried that (using the desktop version of IE) . I just get a notification on the Amazon Prime Page saying that the device is not supported"!!!!

oion

I tried that (using the desktop version of IE) . I just get a notification on the Amazon Prime Page saying that the device is not supported"!!!!

Let's see. Amazon isn't in my compatibility list; I do have three tracking protection lists enabled; I may have tinkered with some of the deeper settings, but unlikely much. Oh, and my last Surface updates were installed 18FEB2014. What are you trying to watch that gives you that error? I wonder if there are differences among the encoded videos.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Let's see. Amazon isn't in my compatibility list; I do have three tracking protection lists enabled; I may have tinkered with some of the deeper settings, but unlikely much. Oh, and my last Surface updates were installed 18FEB2014. What are you trying to watch that gives you that error? I wonder if there are differences among the encoded videos.

The last update I have is dated Feb 20. I did not have Amazon on my compatibility list. It did not work. I then added it to the list, but it did not work either. Like you I have three tracking protection lists active. There was nothing in particular that I was/ am interested in. I was just trying Prime/ Instant Video out. Nothing works - in terms of watching films, TVs shows etc.