What's new

Amazon Instant Video not working with Windows RT 8.1 upgrade

oion

The last update I have is dated Feb 20. I did not have Amazon on my compatibility list. It did not work. I then added it to the list, but it did not work either. Like you I have three tracking protection lists active. There was nothing in particular that I was/ am interested in. I was just trying Prime/ Instant Video out. Nothing works - in terms of watching films, TVs shows etc.

That's annoying as all get-out. I'm assuming you're getting the "you need to update your Flash player"-type error?

According to Adobe - Flash Player , my Surface 2 has Flash 12.0.0.44, and I'm streaming some random things fine. (Meanwhile, my desktop PC with Opera 12.x as my main browser and the latest Flash 12.0.0.70 is getting errors from Amazon again, and clearing cookies didn't work. Works in Firefox and probably IE at least.)

My last Win patches included the optional KB2919394, and I haven't installed anything after Feb 18 if there have been other updates. I have no idea if anything external (like networking stuff) can affect Ama streaming as well. This might be something to post on the MS boards. It's strange because the Surface RT experience should be pretty consistent across users, unlike your average PC.

kristalsoldier

That's annoying as all get-out. I'm assuming you're getting the "you need to update your Flash player"-type error?

According to Adobe - Flash Player , my Surface 2 has Flash 12.0.0.44, and I'm streaming some random things fine. (Meanwhile, my desktop PC with Opera 12.x as my main browser and the latest Flash 12.0.0.70 is getting errors from Amazon again, and clearing cookies didn't work. Works in Firefox and probably IE at least.)

My last Win patches included the optional KB2919394, and I haven't installed anything after Feb 18 if there have been other updates. I have no idea if anything external (like networking stuff) can affect Ama streaming as well. This might be something to post on the MS boards. It's strange because the Surface RT experience should be pretty consistent across users, unlike your average PC.

Yes, its odd because Amazon Prime is working fine on my desktop PC running 8.1 (in desktop mode only).

kristalsoldier

Hi all,

Here is a screenshot of what happens when I try to access the Amazon Prime site. See the text in the orange box.

Any advice?

Thanks Screenshot.jpg

oion

This is what I see in trying that exact video (no "video can't be watched" error, instead I see the big green "Watch Now" button):

Screenshot (84).png

The only possibility I can think of right now is some regional thing, as the only obvious difference between our Surface setups is that you're accessing the UK Amazon website while I'm on the US website. Proxy server? (No idea, maybe someone more techie can think about that.) I would try contacting Amazon support about the inconsistency, maybe referring to this thread. Ama Prime streaming really needs to be accessible for anyone with a legit account, anywhere in the world, unless Amazon gets off its duff and creates a proper Prime streaming app for Win8 on ARM...

kristalsoldier

Very odd...because I can see the same video just fine on my desktop machine. Of course, need to use IE desktop to do that (because, of all things, Silverlight!!!). So, it cannot be the regional thing. Very odd.

oion

Very odd...because I can see the same video just fine on my desktop machine. Of course, need to use IE desktop to do that (because, of all things, Silverlight!!!). So, it cannot be the regional thing. Very odd.

Oops, you did mention that. There may still be a difference in how the UK website is retrieving device information and serving stream data to various devices, compared to the US website. It's still worthwhile to contact them, both officially (never done that so not sure how) and starting a thread on the discussion area. Unless someone in the UK can verify that Amazon Prime streaming for that exact episode does work on an updated Surface 2...

kristalsoldier

Oops, you did mention that. There may still be a difference in how the UK website is retrieving device information and serving stream data to various devices, compared to the US website. It's still worthwhile to contact them, both officially (never done that so not sure how) and starting a thread on the discussion area. Unless someone in the UK can verify that Amazon Prime streaming for that exact episode does work on an updated Surface 2...

Thanks. I just posted on that forum. The only think that I can think about is that there may be a driver issue. But what that can be, I am not sure. How to check if my Surface is fully updated (checking on updates - desktop side of things - does not seem to help because it shows that the device is fully updated).

oion

Thanks for posting. So, it may indeed be a regional thing - though should that not also be a problem with desktop machines?

Well, the variables we have now are--location (UK), device (Windows RT 8.1 Surface) with software (Internet Explorer 11 with touch token, designed for touch Win8 devices). That means if it's working on your desktop (Win7 or Win8 I'm assuming, what browser?), there's something going on between the UK website, which gathers device data in order to properly serve a stream, and the Surface 2 with WinRT8.1+IE11...especially as we get more data points, thanks to h3mp for verifying.

kristalsoldier

Well, the variables we have now are--location (UK), device (Windows RT 8.1 Surface) with software (Internet Explorer 11 with touch token, designed for touch Win8 devices). That means if it's working on your desktop (Win7 or Win8 I'm assuming, what browser?), there's something going on between the UK website, which gathers device data in order to properly serve a stream, and the Surface 2 with WinRT8.1+IE11...especially as we get more data points, thanks to h3mp for verifying.

On my desktop machine, I have successfully used the desktop version of IE. So, that narrows the variables down to the UK website and how it gathers device information. This sucks!!!! Bloody Amazon!!!!

oion

On my desktop machine, I have successfully used the desktop version of IE.

Yes, so maybe the user-agent string has something to do with it, even if both Surface 2 and your PC have "identical" IE11. The Surface IE sends a particular user-agent string with a touch token and I think an ARM string as well; there have been other issues with IE11 on Surface sending people to mobile/broken versions of websites instead of the proper landing page. Speaking theoretically, of course.

Edit to add: I had no idea that Amazon Prime Instant Streaming was a brand-new thing in the UK.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/21/amazon-rebrand-lovefilm-prime-instant-video/

I wonder if there's some technical thing going on in relation to LoveFilm and the new Ama Prime branding....

Last edited: