What's new

Amazon Instant Video not working with Windows RT 8.1 upgrade

kristalsoldier

Yes, so maybe the user-agent string has something to do with it, even if both Surface 2 and your PC have "identical" IE11. The Surface IE sends a particular user-agent string with a touch token and I think an ARM string as well; there have been other issues with IE11 on Surface sending people to mobile/broken versions of websites instead of the proper landing page. Speaking theoretically, of course.

Edit to add: I had no idea that Amazon Prime Instant Streaming was a brand-new thing in the UK.

Lovefilm Instant becomes Amazon Prime Instant Video in the UK

I wonder if there's some technical thing going on in relation to LoveFilm and the new Ama Prime branding....

I don't really know. But yeah Amazon Prime started just a few days back. I have the Prime membership for free delivery which is now being carried forward till next year - so Prime Videos/ Movies are free for 1 year. After than the price goes up. On balance, I think I will opt for Netflix because (1) they have a dedicated app for the Surface and (2) they seem to have a better selection than Amazon.

oion

I don't really know. But yeah Amazon Prime started just a few days back. I have the Prime membership for free delivery which is now being carried forward till next year - so Prime Videos/ Movies are free for 1 year. After than the price goes up. On balance, I think I will opt for Netflix because (1) they have a dedicated app for the Surface and (2) they seem to have a better selection than Amazon.

At least you have the option to switch; if you haven't already, I'd suggest bringing it up on the support thread you started (going to a competitor and canceling Prime), as that may have a more practical effect...

kristalsoldier

At least you have the option to switch; if you haven't already, I'd suggest bringing it up on the support thread you started (going to a competitor and canceling Prime), as that may have a more practical effect...

I'll mention it on the thread, but I ain't holding my breath! Technically, Amazon should have really released an app for it on the MS market. But they are really stuck up within the context of their neutered Kindle device!

oion

I'll mention it on the thread, but I ain't holding my breath! Technically, Amazon should have really released an app for it on the MS market. But they are really stuck up within the context of their neutered Kindle device!

Yep, that is true (per the app). Their website really should just work, though. At least on Surface there's both Netflix and Hulu.

To the victor-that-is-user-friendly goes the spoils, I say.