What's new

An interesting Win8 anomaly (which 8.1 didn't fix) . . .

Russ

A couple of months ago, in a thread called "Windows 8 pretty casual about recommending refresh", I reported that, for some unknown reason, I could no longer access the Store. The system helpfully suggested a "Refresh," and even gave me a little button to do it. I declined. This is my "main machine," and, by far, the majority of important apps are of desktop variety. I had no intention of re-installing all of them (still don't) just to gain access to the Store.

Well, the problem has progressed in an interesting fashion. One by one, my "store" apps have stopped working. My guess is that as each one had an update, and couldn't install it, it just quit. Each time I noticed that, I decided that it still wasn't worth a Refresh and the attendant re-installation of all my programs. It has now reached the point that it is easier to enumerate the "store apps" (or maybe they're "System Apps") that still do work (3) than those that do not (a whole bunch).

Being a "cockeyed optimist," I sorta hoped that the update to Win8.1 might reset whatever switch got flipped and make the problem go away. It didn't. So, I am running Win8 in an almost pure desktop mode, and my life has seemed to go on undisturbed. I'm still not gonna do a Refresh. I might consider it, but I am now embarking on building a brand new machine, so will do a clean install of everything for it.

The really annoying part is that, no matter what I do, I will never know what caused the problem in the first place. But, computers are like that sometimes.

All of the above is in the "For whatever it's worth" department (which probably isn't very much).

Regards,
Russ

ArnoldC

That issue never happened on all my Windows 8/RT devices, so there is nothing much i can offer but just a plain "good morning!"

OP
Russ

Russ

"good morning!"

Good morning, Arnold, and thank you. Not sure what our time gap is, but I do know it's morning where you are. When Ladyfriend is in China, it is a 12-hour offset, so I don't have to do any serious arithmetic to figure out what time it is for her.

Yeah, this problem is strange -- so strange that I have decided to just put it in the "Amusing" category (kinda guided by the "Serenity Prayer"). Each day, I try each one of the remaining store apps to see which ones don't work anymore. It is more interesting, because even the ones that won't open still show current information in the live tile -- just sort of a "teaser," I guess.

As usual, I am a victim of my own habits. I so seldom access the Store that, by the time I noticed it, I had already done my back-up, so there was no retreat. The annoying thing is that I have not a clue what caused it. The only notable thing I did around that time was install the Beta of Lightroom 5, but that is more like correlation than causation. I removed it, but it made no difference. I shall just add it to the long, long list of things I don't know, and move on.

I am in the early stages of building a new system, so I will do a clean install for it and leave this "amusing" problem in my rear-view mirror.

Take care,
Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

Does the apps show an (X) on their tiles?

Arnold --

No, they just sit there looking normal, until I click them, then I get a bar across the screen that says "This app can't open," and the usual helpful advice.

What I find most interesting is that the live tiles, Finance, etc., are showing currently accurate information, but they still won't open. It's a mystery, but probably not one that is going to alter the trajectory of my life. I'll just get on with building a new system and "solve" it that way.

Take care,
Russ

ArnoldC

I see. My experience revealed some apps having that mark when they don't open and I had to remove it and re install.

OP
Russ

Russ

I've read a anti-virus can stop the store from opening... have you tried that?

Omni --

The only anti-virus I'm running is Windows Defender, and it has been there since I did the Win8 install.

Thanks,
Russ

drewfromsd

Have you tried syncing your app licenses? Anytime I have a difficult time with the windows store apps such as: unable to open, unable to purchase (even if it is free), unable to update - I just sync the app licenses and it fixes the problem. You can find instructions on how to do that here: What to do if you have problems with an app. It's worth a shot anyway....

Good luck!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Russ,

Have you tried running "wsreset.exe"? It can repair many of the issues with the Windows Store App...

OP
Russ

Russ

Hi Russ,

Have you tried running "wsreset.exe"? It can repair many of the issues with the Windows Store App...

Jeff, et al --

Yeah, I tried running that elevated, as Arnold suggested, but it just tells me it can't open because "there is a problem with Store." I have tried all the remedies I could think of and others that have been suggested, but the problem remains. Frankly, I don't even care anymore. The system functions perfectly in pure desktop mode, which is how I mostly use it when I'm working anyhow. I will just let it be, for now. I am gathering parts for a new system to replace it. When that's done, I will reformat the disk and do a clean install. I wouldn't even trust "Refresh" on this system now.

I had already been thinking about a new system, since Intel's recent releases. This problem has just accelerated my schedule.

Actually, I, myself, am the problem. I'm always tinkering with stuff. Usually I have an avenue of retreat -- either Restore Points or my cloned backup drive. This one got past me, because I so seldom go to the store and didn't notice it until I had figuratively burned my bridges of retreat. Stuff like this happens if you mess with computers long enough. One time, I was doing something with my Wife's computer on the workbench in my shop, and she ambled in to see how I was doing. At the exact moment she walked in, there was a loup "Pop," and smoke began to rise from its innards. She just said, "I'll come back later," and went back in the house. This isn't nearly that interesting. :)

Thanks, everybody.

Take care,
Russ