What's new

Any Long-Term, Permanent Damage Done by SP3 Heating Up?

leeshor

Time for me to add my .02. This WAS a big problem with socketed chips. Back in the day when 64MB of RAM meant 8 socketed chips, even if they were in milspec sockets they would creep. I could go up to a system 2 or 3 years old and press on all those chips and hear creaks and feel movement.

The process have changed, even the wave soldering has become more reliable for chips and of course there isn't even a (PIN) socket any more for Intel processors.

My personal thought is that if I was worried about that I would be in serious trouble. I support 600 or so computers and many of them, including my own, get shut down every night. Admittedly that's only 365 cycles a year but my history says it isn't, and/or shouldn't be a concern.

ptrkhh

They could actually add artificial heat (by loading the processor, for example) so that the cooldown process would happen gradually, and less harmful from the expansion/contraction.

Only when the power supply is connected, presumably.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Sorry Chris, I can't give any examples related directly to an SP3. What I've said pertains to electronic devices in general, and would therefore relate to an SP3. (Unless I'm mistaken, MS did not grant the SP3 an exemption from the Laws of Physics.;))

I'm hearing MS is planning on a Laws of Physics mass-exemption for all SP4's, another neat feature to look out for...

daniielrp

Tablets are like anything else and running them at elevated temperatures will shorten their lifespan. Electronic items are more prone to failure from thermal expansion issues related to start/stop cycles (things get hot, expand, and then cool and contract). This hot/cold cycling can cause failures due to material choices that don’t expand and contract at the same rate. Components can break loose from the motherboard, solder joint can crack open etc. Manufacturers understand this and set their warranties accordingly. A well designed device should last though its warranty even if it’s pushed to its performance envelopes, but don’t expect as much of a post-warranty lifespan if a device runs hot.

I'm sure solder cracking was one of the main causes of the Xbox 360 RRoD, so I'm sure Microsoft have put a lot of thought in to what materials to use with their hardware this time around!