What's new

Any news about the next iteration of Surface Devices?

kristalsoldier

Hi all....

Is there any news/ indication as to what the next iteration of the Surface devices - both the Pro and the RT versions - will be like?

What, if any, improvements can one reasonably expect in the Pro? Lighter? Thinner? Better battery? Different colour? etc.

And, what about the Surface 2?

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is the rumored Surface Mini, we might hear something about it and the other rumored Surface 2 with LTE Support at Mobile World Congress at the end of the month. Other than that I would expect next fall before we hear about any 3.0 devices...

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

There is the rumored Surface Mini, we might hear something about it and the other rumored Surface 2 with LTE Support at Mobile World Congress at the end of the month. Other than that I would expect next fall before we hear about any 3.0 devices...

Thanks. By next fall, you mean after Sept. 2014 and not Sept. 2015...yes?

CrippsCorner

Surely if things are going to be revealed it'll be at Build? Unless that's more software related... can't quite remember.

Really hoping they go smaller with a Surface Phone & Surface Mini. Though I doubt they'd be able to make Nokia that useful this year.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Surely if things are going to be revealed it'll be at Build? Unless that's more software related... can't quite remember.

Really hoping they go smaller with a Surface Phone & Surface Mini. Though I doubt they'd be able to make Nokia that useful this year.

Build is a developers conference and will center around Phone 8.1 (formally Blue), Windows 8.1/RT Update 1 (brings Phone and Windows API more in alignment) and Xbox One Development. They usually give a device to all attendees, the first year was a Samsung Series 7 Slate with all of the Windows 8 Hardware (unlike the production units that were sold publically), the next Build the gave out the Acer Iconia W3 for 8.1 small screen support. So it will be interesting what hardware is given this time, could be a Nokia Lumia 1520 or even the rumored 1830 and they could surprise us with a Surface Mini...

Krighton

Why? if you buy a surface or a surface 2 you might as well buy an iPad. They're all useless. Buy a Surface pro or pro 2 or there is no point, unless you just want to be part of the marketing scheme of giving money away. Up to you.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Why? if you buy a surface or a surface 2 you might as well buy an iPad. They're all useless. Buy a Surface pro or pro 2 or there is no point, unless you just want to be part of the marketing scheme of giving money away. Up to you.

That's your point of view. I have a Surface 2 and I think it works brilliantly to satisfy my work needs. Note - I said work not play. I also have an iPad, which also contributes to my work flow. The two devices complement each other rather well in my use-case.

SEANT

. . . . Buy a Surface pro or pro 2 or there is no point, unless you just want to be part of the marketing scheme of giving money away. Up to you.

If it doesn't have at least two 8-core Xeon processors and 64 Gigs ram, it is a toy. Don't buy all the marketing BS about mobile. Get stuff done fast!

CrippsCorner

You started off with a point, but before it turned to trolling you're best off remembering that Surface 2 comes with full Office, a proper keyboard, USB support etc. so whereas it's not a full computer replacement (like the Surface Pro 2) it is a hell of a lot 'more' than the iPad...