What's new

Anybody know if this will work with the Surface Book?

mcsenerd

http://smile.amazon.com/Transcend-J...1446342887&sr=8-1&keywords=Jet+Drive+Lite+360

It's the Transcend Jet Drive Lite 360. I am not expecting my i7/16/512 until Wednesday this week, so I can't test it yet... It'd be nice to use it as I'm going to sell my MacBook Pro and won't have a use for it anymore, plus just being able to leave it in full time would be great. If nobody knows, I'll go test it out myself either at a Microsoft Store or Best Buy tomorrow and I'll let everyone know how it goes...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am guessing that it will not work, or the manufacturer would be marketing it as a 256GB SD device, not a MacBook device.

OP
M

mcsenerd

I don't have high hopes because it's made to exactly fit the short SD card slot in the MacBook Pro (I'm imagining it's a micro-SD guts shoved into a custom sized full size SD card body), but hey... It's worth a shot. I can always sell it with the MBP, but I really think it would be nice to have something similar for the shallow SD card slot in the Surface Book. Maybe if they sell enough of them some manufacturer will make something similar.

leeshor

I agree. If the Surface line keeps selling the way it is now more vendors will design accessories for it.

OP
M

mcsenerd

Well... Went to the MS Store in Frisco today and tried out the card I have (I have a 128GB version for the 2013 rMBP 15") and I can confirm that it appears to not be long enough to be compatible with the SB. OH well... I guess it'll go in the auction for the rMBP when I put it on Fleabay.

jimsparkman

Hello, the Transcend JetDrive Lite 360 doesn't work because it's just about 1mm too short. I tried it (returning it today). However, the JetDrive Lite 130 DOES work, but it sticks out of the slot about 1/16th of an inch... it's livable for me, sure beats a standard SD Card sticking out almost half an inch. I have the JetDrive Lite 256GB and I'm using it for File History.

I did think about keeping the 360... if you cut the outer tabs off of it, it'll slide into the slot, pretty much flush with the machine, but then you have the challenge of getting it back out using tweezers or prying out with a knife. It will work fine, though, when it's inserted.

I decided I might want to remove mine easier than that. Here's what it looks like (the JetDrive 130)... see attached.

Attachments

• 20151103_174544078_iOS.jpg
    20151103_174544078_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,871

JBCF

Don't exactly "need" it for File History, you can actually use any kind of external or even the internal drive with a bit of configuration but to my mind this is the best solution.
1) Using the internal drive is a problem if the drive goes south, sure I have my backup in the cloud and the (very) occasional local backup but I like the snapshot frequency and simplicity of File History.
2) using an external drive means connecting to an external drive and one of the keys to the Surface Book for me is working "anywhere, anytime, any configuration" so having an SD that I can just leave in the system and allow File History to work its magic and (frequently) save my butt is a great option.

jimsparkman

Don't exactly "need" it for File History, you can actually use any kind of external or even the internal drive with a bit of configuration but to my mind this is the best solution.
1) Using the internal drive is a problem if the drive goes south, sure I have my backup in the cloud and the (very) occasional local backup but I like the snapshot frequency and simplicity of File History.
2) using an external drive means connecting to an external drive and one of the keys to the Surface Book for me is working "anywhere, anytime, any configuration" so having an SD that I can just leave in the system and allow File History to work its magic and (frequently) save my butt is a great option.

@JBCF, couldn't have said it better myself... exactly the same reasons I use it and like it. My files are in the cloud, as well, but I still keep full image backups, but File History is important as you work. If I lose a file, if it becomes corrupt, or I decide I want a version from 2 days ago, a week ago or a month ago, it's there. I've been using File History on SD Cards ever since it was available in Windows 8/8.1 and it's saved me many times. Beats the heck out of external or network drive options since it's always there. If the SD Card does go south, Windows will notify you that File History is having a problem, but that's never happened to me. Only issue was a while back when I was using a 128GB card and ran out of practical space (had to get selective about what was backed up), but moved up to a 256GB Card and was fine ever since. I'm just glad Transcend offers the JetDrive 130 in a 256GB version.