What's new

AOC external USB 3 monitor

Tsurugaya

I have an external AOC USB 3 monitor called E1659F WU, this connects fine with the Surface Pro 2, but when I try to connect it with the Surface Pro 3 it just blinks and I get that USB connection beep over and over and over again. I have tried connecting an external battery pack as well, just to make sure there is enough current for the monitor (it comes with a Y-cable). Why will it work with the older but not the newer model?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It sounds as if its not getting enough power. Have you tried the Y cable in the other orientation, or a different Y cable? Do you have a Powered USB Hub you could try? Try plugging into the SP3 power brick? Do other USB devices work with your SP3 the port may be defective.

OP
T

Tsurugaya

Should have been more specific. Yes, also tested with power brick. USB 3 HDD works fine, connecting a 4 port hub and connecting four devices also works fine. However, after upgrading to Windows 10 (beta) on my SP2, it no longer works there. Though the latest DisplayLink driver is very recent, it makes me think that there is something in the OS that doesn't pay nice with DL. Trying to install the latest driver from DL's HP only generates an error message about the OS not being supported.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Should have been more specific. Yes, also tested with power brick. USB 3 HDD works fine, connecting a 4 port hub and connecting four devices also works fine. However, after upgrading to Windows 10 (beta) on my SP2, it no longer works there. Though the latest DisplayLink driver is very recent, it makes me think that there is something in the OS that doesn't pay nice with DL. Trying to install the latest driver from DL's HP only generates an error message about the OS not being supported.
For Windows 10 try here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=376

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nice find, your like a tech guru of the internet's flip side.
I've been using DisplayLink Devices since 2007 with Windows Vista and it broke Aero, its always the Beta Drivers that support the latest features, devices and OSs :)