What's new

Apps not closing after last update

nnthemperor

Hi,
I just noticed that when I close apps either by dragging down from top and holding it for a few seconds until it flips over our by clicking the x mark in the case of KB, it doesn't close the apps completely but let's them continue running in the background. I open task manager and have to close each one manually.
Note that I'm not referring to the multitask mode where I can swipe in from the left to access the apps again.

I wonder if anyone has noticed this. I'm pretty positive this phenomenon wasn't their prior to the update.

Last edited:

Sassi

Mine all seem to close fine. I looked at task manager and they're not running in the background after I click the X or swipe down and flip the tile and that's after the update so I'm not sure what's happening on your machine.

wditters

Same here .. works fine, applications close as they should and disappear from the running applications list in Task Manager

OP
nnthemperor

nnthemperor

Ok this is getting weird. Dragging down and holding the tile a little longer after it flips over actually works to close the app(in task manager), but the KB option of clicking the x mark doesn't work.

foghat

Clicking the X has never closed the app completely i.e. it will remove it from the side bar, it still exists in task manager. It worked this way before the last update as well.

To make is disappear from task manager you need to drag down and hold until it flips.

bluegrass

Clicking the X has never closed the app completely i.e. it will remove it from the side bar, it still exists in task manager. It worked this way before the last update as well.

To make is disappear from task manager you need to drag down and hold until it flips.

I just tested this and that is exactly how it works on my Surface. I have always been in the habit of just dragging the app down to the bottom and immediately releasing it. I also assumed that the clicking on the "X" closed the app.

I'm curious. Where is this documented or where did you learn about this. I know that Microsoft encourages keeping tasks open in the background because the nature of how Surface can handle many processes running. I guess this just proves that they leaned towards people leaving programs running in the background.

Nice catch there Foghat. If I ever run short of memory for apps, I'll always remember this. Just an aside, I just tested to see how much memory MUI IE used running in the background and it was 29.9 mb. With 8,000 mb of memory, I guess it won't hurt for me to leave it running in the background.

foghat

I just tested this and that is exactly how it works on my Surface. I have always been in the habit of just dragging the app down to the bottom and immediately releasing it. I also assumed that the clicking on the "X" closed the app.

I'm curious. Where is this documented or where did you learn about this. I know that Microsoft encourages keeping tasks open in the background because the nature of how Surface can handle many processes running. I guess this just proves that they leaned towards people leaving programs running in the background.

Nice catch there Foghat. If I ever run short of memory for apps, I'll always remember this. Just an aside, I just tested to see how much memory MUI IE used running in the background and it was 29.9 mb. With 8,000 mb of memory, I guess it won't hurt for me to leave it running in the background.

It has been posted in various threads here. Pretty sure I have also read that if you you start to run low on memory, windows will automatically close those apps that are running in task manager, but not on sidebar. I have heard the windows 8.1/SP3 memory management is quite efficient.