What's new

Are you going to install 8.1 preview on your surface?

Are you going to install 8.1 preview on your surface?

• Yes

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
OP
Omni

Omni

October seems ages away..... if the preview version is stable I may install it earlier. The new features are very temping.

MHC48

Is it possible that only the "preview" apps will have to be re-installed?:

Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager Michael Niehaus explained that when the preview becomes available, Windows 8 and Windows RT users will receive a Windows Update notification. Once the preview OS is installed, new related apps will appear in the Windows Store, allowing potential testers to read the description and choose to install or not install.

"When the final RTM versions of Windows 8.1 and RT 8.1 are finally launched, customers who already downloaded and installed the preview will get the same Windows Update plus a Windows Store notification. Data and accounts will be preserved if and when customers choose to install the final, free 8.1 release. However the "preview" apps must be reinstalled with the RTM versions."

DOS

Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager Michael Niehaus explained that when the preview becomes available, Windows 8 and Windows RT users will receive a Windows Update notification. Once the preview OS is installed, new related apps will appear in the Windows Store, allowing potential testers to read the description and choose to install or not install.

"When the final RTM versions of Windows 8.1 and RT 8.1 are finally launched, customers who already downloaded and installed the preview will get the same Windows Update plus a Windows Store notification. Data and accounts will be preserved if and when customers choose to install the final, free 8.1 release. However the "preview" apps must be reinstalled with the RTM versions."

If that's the case, I'm good with it...

OP
Omni

Omni

Ah that's very different to what I read a few days ago. I hope it turns out to be correct!

MHC48

To be clear, I wasn't saying that was how it will work, only asking. A post by Mary Jo Foley seems to say the contrary:

"For those wondering exactly which apps will need to be reinstalled, it depends whether the tester is running Windows on ARM or x86. On Windows RT devices, it's the Windows Store/Metro-Style apps that will have to be reinstalled; for x86-based Windows 8 systems, testers will need to reinstall both their Windows Store/Metro-Style and Desktop apps.

Windows 8 users who do not install the preview build and opt instead to go straight from Windows 8/Windows RT to Windows 8.1 will not have to reinstall their apps. All settings, data and apps will carry over.

Which seems to say be prepared to reinstall all the Metro apps if you try the preview. But even if all the apps need to be reinstalled, it should be easier for Surface RT owners. All your regular setings and data will sync right over when you log on with your MS account. Since all RT apps come from the Windows Store and are tied to your MS account, after installing the Windows 8.1 preview (and later when going to the final version) it seems to me that you'll be able to log in with your MS account, open the Store and re-download all the missing apps at one time if you've kept note of the ones you like and want.

I recently sent my Surface in for repair. When it came back it was a blank slate, so to speak. But as soon as I signed in with my MS account most things immediately came back and all I had to do was re-download my apps. It was fast and a no brainer The only things I lost were the particular sites I wanted in my news aggregators and my high scores in Bejeweled.

OP
Omni

Omni

Oh right that is a little different then. Redownloading apps from the store can take a very long time if you have a lot especially large games. Been on RT I think I will defiantly be trying it if that is the case. There is no need to reinstall all apps at the same time.

Even so there will be things that I will lose. Like my high score on Bejeweled :LOL:

Nuspieds

I've never had the desire to install a preview/beta OS on my primary computing device so, no, I definitely won't be installing anything other than the released version of Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro.

When it comes to apps, that's a different story for me and I'm very ready to install and try them out, but not the OS itself.

mitchellvii

I always mess with things until I break them so yeah, probably.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8