What's new

Backup OS ?

OP
B

BChat

I like that the hawking unit also has an Ethernet port which means you have the option to connect it to your routers port and take full advantage of the link speeds.

Already ordered - not many patience here...

OP
B

BChat

Thanks GTiceman - I have ATI 2014 and 2015 so all should be good.

ETA -All is not good - tried ATI 2013, 2014, 2015 USB - booted to USB OK - showed this:

2013-2014
Starting Acronis UEFI Loader...
Select an item by using the keyboard:
1. True Image
c. Continue Booting

1. True Image
2. Acronis System Report
c. Continue Booting

Pressing "1" or "c" does nothing, leading me to believe that the keyboard is not active at this point in the boot process - OR - I have somehow turned it off - I love learning new things...:)

Next week I may try marriage...

Last edited by a moderator:

GTiceman

Thanks GTiceman - I have ATI 2014 and 2015 so all should be good.

ETA -All is not good - tried ATI 2013, 2014, 2015 USB - booted to USB OK - showed this:

2013-2014
1. True Image
c. Continue Booting

1. True Image
2. Acronis System Report
c. Continue Booting

Pressing "1" or "c" does nothing, leading me to believe that the keyboard is not active at this point in the boot process - OR - I have somehow turned it off - I love learning new things...:)

Next week I may try marriage...

Are you using a Bluetooth keyboard or the cover? I am not sure if the Surface allows the BT to be passed prior to boot but the cover should work.

OP
B

BChat

Not sure. I haven't tried to restore an image yet ha

Doesn't look like I am going to try it either...there is an answer somewhere...different software...different hardware...different SP3 operator.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds just like backup software ... we make backups, if you want to restore that will be extra. :D
I feel a rant there ... similar to the Seinfeld "Reservation" rant. Anyone can make backups it's the restoring that's important.

Perhaps there's an on screen keyboard available. I know there is with some of the Recovery menus.

Last edited:
OP
B

BChat

Somebody has been ranting on the Acronis forum - seems it is the Surface 2 cover that is the issue - I have used Acronis for years, done 100s of backups and restores w/o issue. As far as I can see, the type cover isn't recognized at the point it is needed. In the meantime I'll have to be extra careful not to mess up the 3.

OP
B

BChat

No - I tried it from within Windows, from a cold boot, removing/re attaching the keyboard during the process - no luck. My GUESS is the keyboard is not active at that particular point in the boot process.
Is there a key to push to bring up a boot selection menu like on a desktop? F8, F11, or some such thing? My GUESS is there isn't since the keyboard has shown up yet.....

olimjj

No - I tried it from within Windows, from a cold boot, removing/re attaching the keyboard during the process - no luck. My GUESS is the keyboard is not active at that particular point in the boot process.
Is there a key to push to bring up a boot selection menu like on a desktop? F8, F11, or some such thing? My GUESS is there isn't since the keyboard has shown up yet.....
I wish there were, but I am not aware of any. The system Bios implementation is different.
These 2 articles might provide some insight if you have not already discovered them:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...service-and-recovery/how-to-use-the-bios-uefi
and
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...ers/boot-surface-pro-from-usb-recovery-device