What's new

Battery issues only on Surface PRO 3?

Plantje

Recently there have been some battery issues. Microsoft confirmed they occurred on the Surface Pro 3 with batteries from the manufacturer Simplo. LG made batteries for the device as well and they don't have the issue.

Does this issue occur for the Surface 3 as well? I have a Surface 3 with a battery of SMP. Does that stand for Simplo? Or would it then in fact state "Simplo" in the overview?

jrioux

Recently there have been some battery issues. Microsoft confirmed they occurred on the Surface Pro 3 with batteries from the manufacturer Simplo. LG made batteries for the device as well and they don't have the issue.

Does this issue occur for the Surface 3 as well? I have a Surface 3 with a battery of SMP. Does that stand for Simplo? Or would it then in fact state "Simplo" in the overview?
How can we tell if our SP3 has Simplo batteries?

kmcspringford

Suddenly my Surface pro 3 has stopped detecting my battery. There is a cross on the battery in the task bar. When I hover my mouse over the icon, it says "no battery is detected". My surface is up to date with all the available updates. I have followed the different reboots with holding the power button for 30 sec, then volume up and power for 15, etc. Not working.

Any suggestions?

Turbo4AWD

Bringing this post back from the dead so to speak. I believe there was supposed to be a firmware update released to resolve the battery depleting issues that people are experiencing? Not sure. I remember reading it online. Did this help you out?

Turbo4AWD

There would have been an official announcement for the Surface 3. The Surface Pro 3 was the only Surface mentioned by Microsoft to have a fix for. No mention of the Pro 3 or Pro4 having this issue and needing the firmware update. Does your Surface 3 have a 1 hour battery life or less?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly how I look at it. Unless you are suffering from these rather extreme battery issues, then does it really matter?

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Pfff.... sorry guys...

People had issues with their Surface Pro 3 quite a while before Microsoft acknowledged the issue. The issue turned out only to be hitting SP3's with a specific battery brand.

I don't know if this S3 suffers from battery issues as it is my third S3 in a few months and in the mean time I'm starting to get pretty much fed up by build quality. I was just asking a rather simple question.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pfff.... sorry guys...

People had issues with their Surface Pro 3 quite a while before Microsoft acknowledged the issue. The issue turned out only to be hitting SP3's with a specific battery brand.

I don't know if this S3 suffers from battery issues as it is my third S3 in a few months and in the mean time I'm starting to get pretty much fed up by build quality. I was just asking a rather simple question.

Yes, but the simple answer is that noone is complaining about any S3 battery issues like was done with the SP3, hence microsoft not having said anything. And build quality is fantastic on surface devices. It is quality control leading to inconsistencies that can be of issue.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

In one regard you were right: It's not the build quality that's an issue. However, it's not quality control either.

The main issues I see people mention here and basically everywhere Microsoft stuff is discussed is: a device is perfect when the customer receives it. Only after months issues start to surface... Screen flickering, type covers not working, lots of highlighted pixels in the screen (had that twice in about half a year now), Surface book bent etc etc