What's new

Battery Life3

Girevik

What kind of battery life should I expect from my new Surface 3? I haven't really been tracking it, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting what I should. Is it fair to compare the battery in the surface to an Android tablet or iPad?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of battery life should I expect from my new Surface 3? I haven't really been tracking it, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting what I should. Is it fair to compare the battery in the surface to an Android tablet or iPad?
No - Android Tablets and iPad are large cell phones and the S3 is a full fledge PC and depending on what you run on it your battery life can range 4 Hours to 12 Hours, I tend to get 7.5-10 Hours on my S3 depending on how I'm using it....

OP
G

Girevik

Ok, thanks. I was wondering if my expectations were off. I'm still trying to get a feel for my new toy...I mean productivity device! :)

If I am doing real active work online including video viewing and notetaking I can get 7 hours or so...my if I am using the tablet functions to let say read on kindle,. I can get up to 15 hours based on the battery notification..The atom processor, even though it is a little slower, the plus side is that it uses quite a bit less of power specifically for the loss of a needed fan in other versions of the surface

OP
G

Girevik

Hmm, that feels like significantly more than I'm getting but I guess I'm not tracking it that closely. I'm also using an Android emulator for a couple of the things the Surface can't do natively, and I understand that can be an added drain as well. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it as I use it more.

OP
G

Girevik

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it doesn't feel like I'm getting the 7ish hours on a charge (maybe around the 4). Is there anything I can run to see what is draining it and determine if it's normal?

Or maybe a pill I can take to make me quit worrying about it and enjoy my new Surface?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it doesn't feel like I'm getting the 7ish hours on a charge (maybe around the 4). Is there anything I can run to see what is draining it and determine if it's normal?

Or maybe a pill I can take to make me quit worrying about it and enjoy my new Surface?
Are you running Windows 10 or 8.1? Are you or have you installed Chrome on the S3? What are you using for Antivirus? Which Android Solution are you using?

If you want to dig a bit we have many threads on investigating Power Management issues....

OP
G

Girevik

I'm running Windows 10 (it came that way, I did not upgrade to it). I have not installed Chrome. I also haven't installed an antivirus yet (shame on me, but I've only had it a couple of weeks and haven't gotten around to it), but have access to McAffee through my ISP so would probably use that unless I learn of something better for the Surface.

I'm running Bluestacks for Android but was considering trying Andy (or just doing without Clash of Clans on a tablet and using my phone).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running Windows 10 (it came that way, I did not upgrade to it). I have not installed Chrome. I also haven't installed an antivirus yet (shame on me, but I've only had it a couple of weeks and haven't gotten around to it), but have access to McAffee through my ISP so would probably use that unless I learn of something better for the Surface.

I'm running Bluestacks for Android but was considering trying Andy (or just doing without Clash of Clans on a tablet and using my phone).
Windows Defender should be fine if you practice safe computing, BlueStacks can drain battery life very quickly, as can Ads using Edge (there is a way to block Ads using a Host and Registry Hack).

If you are comfortable around a CMD Prompt we can go deeper.

OP
G

Girevik

BlueStacks can drain battery life very quickly

I had heard that, but was hoping it was only while in use. It looks like it runs a number of services that I'm thinking may be a drain. I'm considering deleting it seeing now big a difference that makes, and maybe giving Andy a go. Or I can just live with using my phone.

...as can Ads using Edge

Is it better to use Chrome rather than Edge?

If you are comfortable around a CMD Prompt we can go deeper.

I'm ancient and was around when DOS came out, so am okay with a command prompt.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had heard that, but was hoping it was only while in use. It looks like it runs a number of services that I'm thinking may be a drain. I'm considering deleting it seeing now big a difference that makes, and maybe giving Andy a go. Or I can just live with using my phone.

Is it better to use Chrome rather than Edge?

I'm ancient and was around when DOS came out, so am okay with a command prompt.
Avoid Chrome it will cost 25-50% of your battery life. Edge with Host File Hack works well.

To see what is eating you battery you can look at the Power Management Reports:

From an elevated CMD Prompt (Admin Rights)
powercfg /energy (Copy this report from System32 Folder to your Documents or Desktop and open)
powercfg /batteryreport (Same as above)
Powercfg /sleepstudy (Same as above)

These reports have the most details.