What's new

Battery Pro shows 4:25

Sdelliott31

I have the SP3 / 256 /i5 /8gb and a SanDisk 128GB micro sd card and Windows 10 with all updates current. I am running Battery Pro (Free) and Tune Up Utilities in the background.

I have read through the Optimize battery thread and I believe implemented all of those suggestions as well as a couple other sites.

My battery pro shows 4:25 at 100% battery with 8.2% loss to wear 38,714 of 42,157 mwh. I believe my screen is 40%. Notifications are off, no startups in the background running. I usually use my SP3 for browsing, Edge / watching movies on Netflix, and downloading the occasional movie. I believe I have all updates. I'm just attempting to figure out how people are getting 6 hours on this. I have contemplating upgrading at least to the SP4, but cost is an issue and other than battery, this does everything I need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading

OP
Sdelliott31

Sdelliott31

Update: I dumped battery pro and downloaded AVG Tune Up (The old Tune up utilities) for the 30 day trial. Changed a lot of settings and now the battery is showing more 9 hours, but in reality probably only 4 to 5. I'm worried about the battery and am contemplating upgrading to the 4. The battery sticky is very informative.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you using 3rd Party Utilities? Your SP3 should see between 4-7 hours of battery life under normal usage (depending on how you adjust brightness and power management). My wife is still using the same model as you and with Netflix/Hulu she get 5-6 hours, with internet browsing she is see around the same...

OP
Sdelliott31

Sdelliott31

First off Happy Easter and thanks for the reply. When I was reading the battery thread there were a few posts about using Tune up utilities. Ive wondered if a 3rd party program would actually cause more cpu usage unless these are one time tweaks. The battery pro meter showing me I've lost about 8%-10% battery to degradation triggered my OCD. I believe tweaked my settings the best I can short of a registry tweak to throttle down my CPU which I don't want to do. I'm thinking of grabbing the SP4. I've owned the 3 for 2 years and just love it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
First off Happy Easter and thanks for the reply. When I was reading the battery thread there were a few posts about using Tune up utilities. Ive wondered if a 3rd party program would actually cause more cpu usage unless these are one time tweaks. The battery pro meter showing me I've lost about 8%-10% battery to degradation triggered my OCD. I believe tweaked my settings the best I can short of a registry tweak to throttle down my CPU which I don't want to do. I'm thinking of grabbing the SP4. I've owned the 3 for 2 years and just love it.
Happy Easter to you as well!! :) Here is all I use for Power Management and Battery - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023450/surface-surface-battery-and-power

OP
Sdelliott31

Sdelliott31

Thanks, I read the article and video and found the troubleshooting battery tip useful. With everything else I did I feel that I'm optimized. I uninstalled the Tune up utilities played around with my power profile and display settings and feel pretty good. Thanks.

Hiefoun1982

thanks a lot. i just have registered here and I already found so many useful tips for me! i also watched the video and I will read the article! sounds super helpful. if anyone else has anything similar i would deeply appreciate it as i am always having battery issues.