What's new

Bitlocker settings locked out?

lvlln

I have an i5, 256GB Surface Pro 3. I set it up with my Windows Live account, and the user is an administrator. I've never used Bitlocker before, and I wanted to explore the settings, but I found that it's giving me only the options to suspend, disable, or backup key, with the warning that some settings are managed by the administrator. I've been searching all over the place for information on this and how to re-enable full access, but I've had no luck. Is anyone familiar with the issue?
2014-11-28 00_55_02-BitLocker Drive Encryption.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have an i5, 256GB Surface Pro 3. I set it up with my Windows Live account, and the user is an administrator. I've never used Bitlocker before, and I wanted to explore the settings, but I found that it's giving me only the options to suspend, disable, or backup key, with the warning that some settings are managed by the administrator. I've been searching all over the place for information on this and how to re-enable full access, but I've had no luck. Is anyone familiar with the issue?
View attachment 4580
I have the same warning, this will be true on all Connected Standby Machines, as Bitlocker is a requirement for its implementation. IIRC you would need to modified the Local Security Group Policy Object. What specifically are you wanting to change?

OP
L

lvlln

I have the same warning, this will be true on all Connected Standby Machines, as Bitlocker is a requirement for its implementation. IIRC you would need to modified the Local Security Group Policy Object. What specifically are you wanting to change?
There wasn't anything in particular I wanted to change; I just wanted to explore the settings and see what was available. When you say "this will be true on all Connected Standby Machines," do you mean that all such machines show the "managed by your system administrator" warning and prevent you from accessing some settings? This seems a bit strange to me; just because Bitlocker is required for Connected Standby doesn't mean the settings for Bitlocker need to be inaccessible by the user, does it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There wasn't anything in particular I wanted to change; I just wanted to explore the settings and see what was available. When you say "this will be true on all Connected Standby Machines," do you mean that all such machines show the "managed by your system administrator" warning and prevent you from accessing some settings? This seems a bit strange to me; just because Bitlocker is required for Connected Standby doesn't mean the settings for Bitlocker need to be inaccessible by the user, does it?
Yes, for mere mortals it should be counter-intuitive and difficult to get to settings that may leave the machine vulnerable and potentially unstable, hence moving some these settings to a place that requires some level of IT Acumen....