What's new

Solved Boot time issues

Huscos

So, I received my SP4 i5 on Monday and after loading Office and a few apps it was taking over 2 minutes to boot up. I called up Microsoft and went through (painful and lengthy) troubleshooting, which ended with them telling me to clean the device and reset. The device got 8% through the Win10 reinstall and froze so they sent me a new SP4 (after hours of more troubleshooting and convincing).

Now I have the new device, reloaded Office and some apps and the same exact thing is happening - a boot time of about 2.5 minutes. When I turn on the device, the "Surface" splash screen shows for over 2 minutes with no action until eventually the rotating icon appears and it boots up.

Anybody else having this issue? It's two units with the same issue for me and I haven't loaded any unusual software nor spend much time on the web (not a virus). I have there other Win10 devices and they all boot in less than 10 seconds (SP1, HP Envy desktop, HP Stream Atom tablet).

Other observations: the unit seems sluggish (right now it's now keeping up with my typing), once the digitizer/touch screen stopped working and I was receiving an error that the Intel Display Driver stopped working and recovered while working in o365 Word online.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Is this happening from a compltely powered down state? My i5 tales 7 seconds from totally off. I;m thinking it's something you installed. Did you test it before installing Office, Are you using any anti virus or other security software?

OP
H

Huscos

Thanks. Yes, this only happens from a powered-down state. The only things I've installed so far is some apps from app store and MS Office 13 (I did connect Outlook to my work Exchange and Skype Business to my work account). I've done the same with my SP1 with no issues.

Do you think it could be some of the apps from the app store? I mostly loaded games like Minesweeper and Wordament.

leeshor

It may be any of a couple things. Did you insert a microSD card? Are you connected to a server other than with Outlook?

OP
H

Huscos

Update: Your statement intrigued me. I started deleting the apps in small groups, starting with suspect apps, testing reboot times. I isolated it to an app called "Free Music downloader / MP3 " that my kids use. It's made by "Croesus Labs" and is posted right in the Windows Store. I've removed it and the issues are gone. I wonder if there is something about that app that may not be kosher.

OP
H

Huscos

Well, looks like I spoke too soon. The issue returned on the next reboot - apparently the issue is intermittent.

I'd be interested if anybody else experiences this issue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes removing apps can be troublesome and they leave stuff behind. If you've removed everything you installed and it still happens. You might have to reset again ... and carefully add them to find the problem. although there used to be a way to display a boot debug screen so you could see what's loading and where it hangs, I don't know how to invoke it in the new OSs.

Hellomotto

So, I received my SP4 i5 on Monday and after loading Office and a few apps it was taking over 2 minutes to boot up. I called up Microsoft and went through (painful and lengthy) troubleshooting, which ended with them telling me to clean the device and reset. The device got 8% through the Win10 reinstall and froze so they sent me a new SP4 (after hours of more troubleshooting and convincing).

Now I have the new device, reloaded Office and some apps and the same exact thing is happening - a boot time of about 2.5 minutes. When I turn on the device, the "Surface" splash screen shows for over 2 minutes with no action until eventually the rotating icon appears and it boots up.

Anybody else having this issue? It's two units with the same issue for me and I haven't loaded any unusual software nor spend much time on the web (not a virus). I have there other Win10 devices and they all boot in less than 10 seconds (SP1, HP Envy desktop, HP Stream Atom tablet).

Other observations: the unit seems sluggish (right now it's now keeping up with my typing), once the digitizer/touch screen stopped working and I was receiving an error that the Intel Display Driver stopped working and recovered while working in o365 Word online.

Honestly this happens to my device constantly. I don't know what is happening. Also, I closed the device for about 10 hours. When I stopped using the sp4 it was at 81% battery life. When I turned it back on from sleep (which for some reason always turns off the computer and takes at least 1-2 minutes to boot) it was at 49% battery life. Not sure what's going on but I am getting horrific battery life from the device simply not being used. Is this happening to anyone else?

MrGelato

Honestly this happens to my device constantly. I don't know what is happening. Also, I closed the device for about 10 hours. When I stopped using the sp4 it was at 81% battery life. When I turned it back on from sleep (which for some reason always turns off the computer and takes at least 1-2 minutes to boot) it was at 49% battery life. Not sure what's going on but I am getting horrific battery life from the device simply not being used. Is this happening to anyone else?

This happened to me when I first got my sp4 i5. I installed a few google things like google chrome, docs, sheets etc. Found out google doesn't play nice with sp4 i think so I just did a reset on the device and it gets good battery while in use and in sleep.

OP
H

Huscos

The battery issue is also noted by several users. There are apparently some firmware problems with the SP4 that need to be addressed. It's disappointing that MS would release this computer with these issues (and other odd things - like my touchpad disabling and weird things happening when typing and navigating). I tried the app I referenced above on other Win10 computers with no issues. Let's hope that Microsoft fixes this quickly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The battery issue is also noted by several users. There are apparently some firmware problems with the SP4 that need to be addressed. It's disappointing that MS would release this computer with these issues (and other odd things - like my touchpad disabling and weird things happening when typing and navigating). I tried the app I referenced above on other Win10 computers with no issues. Let's hope that Microsoft fixes this quickly.
Were any of those computers UEFI based with Secure Boot?
Did you indicate what Antivirus your using... if so I missed it.