What's new

Broken Screen *ARGH*

ooblick

So, a couple of days after purchasing the accidental breakage plan on the Microsoft website (after reading about all of the ways you can break the screen THAT EASILY), guess what happened? Yep, Surface 3, in case, sitting on the passenger seat of my car when idiot in front hard brakes for nothing (on their damn cell phone stuck to their ear). Case slides off seat, screen is cracked.

What should I expect when I take it to the MS store?

raqball

Dang that sucks but at least you have the Complete coverage.

I would assume, but don't know for a fact, that they should just replace it and charge you the deductible..

malberttoo

I don't know if they'll do the exchange at the store anymore, they may make you contact Surface Support and deal with them.

Either way, there will be practically no question about it, almost every who's filed a Complete claim has said the process was awesome.

My buddy had his i7 for only a week and knocked it off his desk and shattered the screen. Complete is awesome to have.

phositadc

So, a couple of days after purchasing the accidental breakage plan on the Microsoft website (after reading about all of the ways you can break the screen THAT EASILY), guess what happened? Yep, Surface 3, in case, sitting on the passenger seat of my car when idiot in front hard brakes for nothing (on their damn cell phone stuck to their ear). Case slides off seat, screen is cracked.

What should I expect when I take it to the MS store?

Dang, that sounds pretty fragile though, I must say.

But I guess we already knew it was fragile.

Makes me wonder even more about its suitability as a laptop replacement, given that these things are often in bags and can't always be treated like a delicate egg.

megatronium

I have a leather case that used to hold my notepad. It was given to me by a previous job. It now holds my SP3, 2TB Seagate drive, my SD cards, etc. It zips up nicely and I doubt my SP3 would break if it slid off my seat to the floor. I also have MS Complete. My point is that for something that costs so much, a great, not good case is needed. I had a cheap one to begin with but am glad I repurposed this nice one.

Good news for you is that MS Complete has already paid for itself for you!

OP
O

ooblick

Yes, and even better news was that the MS store replaced the 128k with a 256k which was great. Of course, I paid the difference, but I really did need the extra space. AND I got a relatively hard case for it. Now I have the issue where the machine refuses completely to use https, throwing certificate errors when there are none.

Telstar1948

I don't know if this is any help, but after getting my SP3 last Thursday I noticed after all the updates that it would lose WiFi after coming out of sleep. I remembered someone on the forum recommended resetting the SP3 (wipe SSD & install W8 from the recovery sector) before getting deep & wide with program & data installation. I decided to do that. It didn't take long and then it ran the updates very quickly. I've installed most of my stuff and OneDrive has synced about 10GB (I need my data online and offline both). Anyway, my SP3 is running like a frisky colt with no issues. It gets a little warm once in awhile, but nothing serious. Mostly it's cool and runs without hiccups at all. I'm glad I reset my SP3. I think the image they put on our devices has some snags but apparently the recovery partition has a good copy of W8.

jtuck82

Yes, and even better news was that the MS store replaced the 128k with a 256k which was great. Of course, I paid the difference, but I really did need the extra space. AND I got a relatively hard case for it. Now I have the issue where the machine refuses completely to use https, throwing certificate errors when there are none.

So the Microsoft Store gave you a brand new in-store replacement on the spot and let you pay the difference for the 256gb? If so, that's amazing customer service.

Steve38

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to also comment. DO NOT PHONE MICROSOFT SUPPORT AT ALL if you accidently break your screen, if you can still purchase the full extended warranty coverage that includes accidental coverage within 45 days of your original purchase!!!

I recently had a Surface Pro 3 bought for me, and within 5 days of having it, it dropped from a couch on to the floor, and the screen shattered. I phoned Microsoft support as I was not sure about my warranty, because it was a gift. Due to the fact that I told them about the cracked screen this made me ineligible to purchase the extended warranty even though I fall well before the 45 days. So essentially being honest does not pay off here.

They will mark your file and the extended warranty will not help you because you reported it broken before you purchased the extended warranty. I know this may be common sense not to phone, but I had the same thing happen to me with an Apple Ipad Air, and they told me to actually purchase the coverage over the phone.